Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking steering fluid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.C.Staley, May 20, 2002.

1. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

I'm going through steering fluid but not real quickly. The leaf springs and shock on the left side is covered with steering fluid. It's not coming from the hoses or the fluid resivoir. It seems to be coming from the steering unit it's self. Maybe a crack? How big of a job is it to change out a steering unit?
    Thanks

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

J.C. I have the same problem and it's the input shaft seal.. A input shaft seal kit is only $7.00 at AutoZone and Kragen.. I was told just to remove the dust seal and the shaft seal and replace them.. About 15 minutes of work after you disconnect the steering coupler..

3. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

How did you get the lock nut off? Is it a regular right hand thread? I tried the hammer/screwdriver and with a large pair of Channel-Locks, but it only moved @ 1/8". Then tried to turn it the other direction and it goes @ 1/4". Tried some more in both directions without any success. Bolted everthing back together, took the kit back and living with the leak. Any hints to get it off? Do I need to back off the spanner nut first??

4. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I just got off the phone with my brother, he's the parts manager for the GM dealer back home and he told me he could get me a new steering gear from GM for $800 ($500 family discount) or a seal kit for $7. The seal kit is on the way.