Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaking trans ANYONE HAVE PART NUMBER

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Aug 4, 2005.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Did a search and found some conflicting answers to this. I had a factory installed th350 and 203. I removed the 203 and replaced it with a 205. I now have leaking trans fluid coming from the adapter plate. The adapter plate has a machined lip that I cleaned and made sure that there were no chips between the two.

Some of the answers I found while searching was that the th350 and 203 combo came with a rear seal in the trans output. I haven't removed to confirm this and I do not see any of the trans fluid making it into the 205 case. But I also haven't driven it since there are no drivelines.

When I installed the 205 I did not put any sealant or gaskets on the adpater between the trans and adapter. The adapter was already installed on the transfer case and it does not leak.

Do I need sealant between the adapter and trans? Do I need to replace a seal in the rear of the trans? Is the space inside the adapter suppose to be filled with ATF under normal conditions?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

There is a gasket that goes between the transmission and the adapter also. Some use an O-ring, but all can use the gasket.

I would hesitate to use RTV there for fear of it getting in the tranny and plugging up a passage

Hope this helps.

John

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I can't find a part number on autozone.com nor gmpartsdirect. Anyone have it?

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any idea on the part number. My dealer was no help.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Shameless bump... Never had a question unanswered on this knowledge filled board?

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Isnt there a groove around the tailshaft and IIRC there should be a large O-ring in there
    No gasket or RTV just the O-Ring..

[​IMG]

Just go to a tranny shop and ask them for the o-ring..I have thr red line where the o-ring goes

7. rocknutah

rocknutah Registered Member

Leaking Trans

Which adapter did you use?

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Factory 205 to th350 adapter. It does have the grooves like in the picture. It was already installed on the 205 so I just unbolted my 203 from the trans adapter and all and stuck the 205 in. I had to replace the front output shaft seal on the 205 and thought I had ALL my leaks fixed. Now I have a small leak from the th350 tailshaft. It is trans fluid leaking out from the tailshaft and the front of the adapter. I salvaged the rubber gasket off the 203 adapter and will try to install it and see. I would like to get a new one so I can be done with it.

I'll try the trans shop.

9. rocknutah

rocknutah Registered Member

Trans Leak

Try A Gm Part#1358899

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Rock I owe ya a beer your the man. That is the correct number I was looking for to take to the stealership.