Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky 3rd Door

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ChevyHuny, Nov 16, 2002.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue"> Does anyone here have a ex cab pickup with the 3rd door? (96 and newer). I can't seem to get mine to stop leaking when it rains. All of my seals look good. I make sure the door is fully shut nice and tight. When I got the truck the interior was in pristine condition and my mileage was low. So there was not a lot of getting in and out, slamming or hanging on the doors. For some reason I can't get it to stop leaking on that side. It puddles up pretty good on the inside and I have had to clean up some mold. My interior is in great shape and I want to keep it that way. Anyone have this problem too?</font color>

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

hmm I haven't ever heard of this, BUT there has to be others with the problem.

Your best bet would be to check out All Data and see if they have any TSB's listed regarding this problem. If they do, your local GM dealer should be able to tell you how to fix it.

Other than that I'm stumped. I'll do some checking though, and let you know what I find.

Brandy

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The seal may just be "dried out" I would put a new seal in and check the leak then. Chances are the leak will have been elimnated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Try adjusting the upper stricker. It's been a long time since I've even seen a '96, but I seem to recall that the 3rd doors were a bit rattly- leaks and what-not.

The fix was to pull the door in - tighter to the body, by adjusting the strickers. But I don't think they were "adjustable" - you had to figet with 'em

For weather stripping problems, we use a marking-compound. basicaly a powder that you applie to the weather stripping - then shut the door and open it. The compound leave a trace around the sheet-metal, so you can see where the weather stripping is making contact and where it's not. You might be able to use baby-powder or something like that - to do the samething as our marking compound.

5. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

If the striker fix does not work and the weather striping is a little short you could add a strip of neoprene with contact cement to the ws. Another way of checking the fit of the ws is to use "blueing" that is used for bearing clearance checks.