Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky coolant recovery tank?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by schwank, Nov 22, 2003.

1. schwank

schwank Registered Member

My truck has been acting really weird last few weeks. The engine started to overheat while at a standstill, but would cool off once I was moving again. Installed a new thermostat yesterday, things seem back to normal. But I also noticed that right around the nipple on the coolant recovery tank that there is obviously a leak, as I toppped off the coolant, and most is now running down my wheel well very slowly. So I replaced the recovery tank, cut the end off the hose, and got some new hose clamps and tightened them down.

Everything seemed all good til I woke up this morning and checked it again. Same issue. so what gives? The hose is not wet in any manner that would lead me to believe it is the cause. I've watched it run, the leak is not obvious anywhere, but I have the same leak with two tanks now. Any ideas?

2. Roshambo

Roshambo Registered Member

Hmm, you could just have a slight leak in the radiator itself?

When I bought my Jimmy it had a leak in the top part where the brace holds it down because some idiot replaced the radiator with a larger than stock one and didn't put bushings in, so it rubbed a little hole in it. I went to the junkyard, got some bushings for a buck, replaced those, then went and got some stop leak. Tossed it in, and haven't had a problem since.

Hope that helps.. because if you replaced the recovery tank, it can't be that! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Joe

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Sound like a head gasket, commpression getting into the coolant. A leaky overflow tank wont effect engine temp unless all the coolant is going into it. Or bad pressure cap.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i remove the tank in trucks i come acros to drive, i run a longer hose down to under radiator support to drain out into open, just like the used to be back in the classic truck and before years

if you are overheating at idle but not when air is moving through radiator during normal driving speeds then you have cooling fan issue

i always put in a 4 core into my daily driver trucks, this completely cures any overheat problems, no matter the fan i use, and i never use a shroud either, can sit and idle any hot day and never get over 1/4 way over from left side of guage, ever

good luck

5. schwank

schwank Registered Member

I gave her a thorough looking over, and the coolant only seems to have leadked from the area right around the recovery tank to hose connection. there is not really any track of liquid under the tank, just a straight line from the screw right next to the tank outlet down the wheel well. thus I'm pretty sure I don't have any leaks from the rad itself, nor is it the hose. Could it be the rad cap is not opening to relieve the pressure, and after shutting off it forces the coolant back into the tank at high pressure? I did add a second hose clamp just to be sure, but the original equipment had a metal sleeve in the nipple, and the oem replacement from the dealer lacks this sleeve, so I am hesitant to really crank on the clamps. Guess I always have the original one...

Could the recovery tank cap be an issue, the gasket is a bit worn, as it is still the original. The problem occurs with both tanks, so it does not appear to be that. The rad is likely original (91 K5 Scottsdale), and the inside is definitely crusty. Wouldn't hurt to have it flushed at the least. I've seen a couple threads about replacing with a bigger rad, but honestly I don't have the time or facilities currently to make it happen. Not to mention it's snowing like a mofo on Mt Hood, and my snowboard gear is ready to rock. Any PDX'ers have reccommendations on rad shops in Ptown?