Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky header collecters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Sep 25, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what works good for this? i cant get those damn things to stop leaking!! ive tightend them best i could and am using dead soft aluminum gaskets

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Straight flanges help. Honestly, I've never had a problem with mine at all. Maybe try the Mr. Gasket ultra seals. They're cheap and I usually don't use Mr. Gasket, but I've had no problems with header or collector gaskets ever.

3. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

you could try these. [​IMG] $45 from summit.

deck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Those are very interesting. If you have a quality set of headers with thick collecter flanges that are WELDED on, then a set of aluminum or copper collecter gaskets should do the trick....

5. 85BlazerFan

85BlazerFan Registered Member

I keep blowing collector gaskets on my K5. I'm going to double up on gaskets this weekend. Hopefully this will do the trick.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know as I'd invest in those things if the headers are thin enough to be warping at the collector flange anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For example you can get coated hedman elites for $250 from Summit, has those collector "flanges" (although three bolts, not two) 14 gauge pipes, and 3/8" head to header flanges.

I'd hate to spend $90 on those pieces and have the headers start leaking up top a year later.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had a set of leaky headers (my fault, over torqued the flanges) on my K10 that were hard to seal. I went to Carquest and plundered through their drawers of donut gaskets until I found one that was made of steel (not compressed ?? material) and fit the taper of the collecters. I've been using the same gaskets for about 4 years now with no problems (other than they are a PITA to line up during assembly).

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

maybe i over torked them i put em on as hard as i could thinking it would stop the leaking..guess i warped it.. the peice that holds the pipe to the flange on the header..that mating peice with 3 holes..it mega warped..coulds that be why?

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Most likely that is the problem, once warped they may not clamp evenly.

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea...well im ganna go out takem of and take some vise grips and try and bendem straight best i can..and i bought another set of gaskets so ill double those up and see how that works out..

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well doubling up on gaskets didnt help..just a tiny bit..and the flanges look straight its just the connecters that are bent..but i was wondering..could it be possible to take some of that high temp. silicone gasket stuff and seal in between there...would that help or it a stupid idea!? i dunno what else ot try!

12. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i used the crappy "paper" gaskets that came with mine, they leaked and burned out real quick...so i bought a new set, covered both sides with ultra copper and bolted them up, havent leaked since!
    its like 5 bucks a tube, so its worth a shot, might save you from having to buy collectors with welded flanges..
    make sure you wear some cheap surgical gloves, because if you cover it like i did, you will make a mess...
    good luck

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i was looking at a bottle of that in advance auto but grabbed a bottle of that red high temp. [darn] and thought i might ust seal it around the flange with it on there and let it sit over night and see what happens..pita having to keep taking thsoe things of cause its a pain getitng the gaskets and crap to line up right..

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Did you miss my post about getting some aluminum or copper collecter gaskets????

15. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i'm pretty sure the red stuff will burn off, it may be high temp, but not 1500 degree high temp....

keep in mind it set ups in like 15 minutes, but you really want it to sit for 24 hours before you run the engine....
    i always use it between the header and the heads, the stuff is so strong that even with all the header bolts out i had to hit the collector with a mallet to break the seal to get the thing off....

although it may not be the "correct" solution to the problem of warped flanges, it worked for me and i'm all for cheap solutions that work...

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im using aluminum flowtech gaskets and paper gaskets with that and it leaks still. i dunno if this doesnt work either with this silicone crap on there maybe ill try the stuff ur talking about...

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

At the parts store I worked at we'd sell people two of those muffler adaptor sleeves that would fit inside the collectors--some used "donut"gaskets as well---either way it releives the flanges of all the pressure of the exhaust,and prevents leaks!At the heads its a different story--those copper "dead soft"gaskets and silicone ultra copper rtv usually work best.