Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky Holley

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

so the POS holley carb on my 86 k10 is leaking from the passenger side, i think where it bolts together...but not sure...is it hard to pull a shitty holley apart and put new gaskets in it? i would really rather just junk it and go q-jet...have a couple qjets coming to me on monday...if ones good ill use that instead...but if i have to do gaskets..anyone?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The gasket between the body and base plate isn't bad. Clean it good and look at it again, if it's leaking where the throttle shaft stick out then it will bushings - that's when the suck-factor goes way up.

3. Confedneck

on second inspection, it looks like its coming out of where a screw goes into the passenger side of the carb...i think its the other end of the throttle shaft... so i think ill deal with the leak with some rtv...for now

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Gasoline turns RTV into a slimy mess. So that option might not be the best idea. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Confedneck

well then a silicone sealer that resists gas and oil...they have it at the hardware store right up the street...

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

why does everyone hate Holleys? Once i got mine tuned whith my dad it runs better than half the edlebrocks i see. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    why does everyone hate Holleys? Once i got mine tuned whith my dad it runs better than half the edlebrocks i see. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

about the ont problem i have seen is on steep hillclimbs they flood out. But i came up whith cool cheat to fix that, mount it 90* off centre and no more steep hillclimb problems /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Confedneck

well...mine idles really well off camber seeing as how they picked my truck up with the slide bed and were dragging the front tires up the bed and the rear end was still hanging off the back...she kept idle pretty well..but lately ive had all sorts of idle problems with it..and i want a q-jet anyways...