Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky, NP 208, help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BSav, Apr 27, 2003.

1. BSav

BSav Registered Member

I have a stock 88 4x4, 350, TH700R4, I drive mostly high way miles and I've been noticing oil all over the back of the tailgate and the window. Well the T case is dripping slowley and the wind is throwing the drips on the tailgate and rear window. In aout 150 miles it is down about a quart. I'm woried I don't want to burn through this T case.
    Do you guys think the seal is gone? Their semes to be no holes or visible cracks in the case. How hard is it to pull the case and re-seal? What does it get realed with? a premade gasker or form a gasket? Could you guys give me a brief lesson on how to pull the T case,or should send it out and let some one else deal with it? I have a good mechanical knoledge in how to take stuff apart and put back together but just not a ton of time.

Thanks for the help it is appreated
    Brian Sav /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

i'd wash it off and try to find where it leaking from first /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifcould be just a seal that does not require taking the whole case out if not the case is very easy to get out and they should have a gasket set for it at napa.

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your slip yoke is leaking.
    If you look at the yoke there is a plug there is where it is leaking. I cleaned mine off real well and put RTV over the plug and had no leaks for about 1 year. When it started to leak agine I went to the driveshaft shop and they sold me a plug pop out the old pop in the new.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Also check the bolts that hold the t-case to the adapter. Those bolts thread into the case on a 208 and if they come loose, then ATF will leak out around the threads. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. yellow81k10

yellow81k10 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif i have a turbo 350/208 and just pulled mine to replace seal between transfer case and adapter. easy to pull. on mine the seal is just an o-ring, probally the same with yours. go easy takin the bolts out its just an aluminum case, thats why i had to take mine out. previous owner stripped out bottom two bolt holes and she leaked like crazy. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif