Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky Oil Filter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Jan 23, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I noticed today that my I was leaking alot of oil by my oil filter. I seem to be loosing a fair amount. My underbody is covered with a thin layer of oil. I know a little leakage is to be expected but this is too much. I have had this problem in the past but i can never get it resolved. I have already made sure that there is not an old gasket in the oil filter body and it is tight. Any tips or ideas?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Try a new oil filter.. I've had some problem's with them in the past.

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>The darker side of nonsense...</a>

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This is my second one, maybe ill try a different brand

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

New as in different right, and did you NOT overtighten it or forget to put a little oil on the rubber... I know simple stuff, but your sig doesent say master mechanic.[​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am far from a master mechanic. I have tried two oil filters same brand but both new both had same problem. I tightened hand light with a lil 40 wieght rubbed on the asket to help seal.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh,see theres the problem your rubbing the asget with oil [​IMG]LOL J/K

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh and by the way I'm closer to a master bater than a master mechanic, but the small stupid stuff gets overlooked first[​IMG]

8. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

The pressure relief spring stuck on mine once and balloned the filter causing it to leak at the seams.

<font color=red>A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.... </font color=red>[​IMG]

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There's one other thing to consider.......If you have a leak at the rear of your driver's side valve cover gasket, it can drip down the block and look like it's actually coming from the filter area. It might be worth checking.......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

10. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Make sure the old filter did not leave the gasket on the block. I had a Fram filter do that once and it leaked like hell untill I realized what had happened. I took off the new filter and pulled off the old gasket, no more leak.

11. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

make sure the bolts that hold the oil filter adapter are tight?? might want to take it off and look at it??

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html>http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html</a>