Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky Oil Filter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Apr 11, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

OK. I have been trying to figure this out for forever. OIl always leaks out my oil filter. When I bought the thruck there was a heat shield on the oil filter, i stupidly took it off. I installed my filter correctly, tight but not too tight and i oiled the seal. Could heat coming off my headers be messing up the filter and causing it to leak. Today it was leaking profsely.

2. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I had a problem with my headers heating my o-ring up so much that it would always get brittle and crack causing a leak, all I did was install a remote filter. jesse

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

what is involved in installing a remote filter?

4. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

mine was simple unscrew the filter and the mount for the filter, screw in the remote filter housing run the hose's and put in your new filter, I went with one for clearance, and heat problems. Jesse

5. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

When you change your filter make sure you cleaned off the filter mount, it might even sound like you have an old filter gasket still stuck on their, so you could have double gaskets and when those heat up your gonna have a high pressure oil leak. So have you checked that?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A double gasketed oil filter will pour out oil like crazy. It won't wait for it to heat up.

7. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

what it is is essentially a fairly quick drip its not rushing oil out like it might be if it were double gasketed.