Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky oil pan... what do i do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ak7, Sep 24, 2002.

1. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

I bought a new front seal kit that included the timing cover gasket, round rubber seal, the balancer sleeve, and front oil pan seal. So I tore down the front of my motor to install the kit because the front seal of my oil pan was leaking. After I installed the kit, it was still leaking oil from the front seal. What am I doing wrong? Can I buy an oversized front gasket seal? Because it almost seems like its not thick enough. Any ideas would help me out a lot. I only have two weeks to fix this nasty problem. I'm supposed to be taking the truck to Holister on the 5th of October.

Also, I'm thinking about getting the moroso deep sump 7qt oil pan. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this mod on a first gen blazer?

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Use lots of duct tape /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I would recommend pulling the pan and changing all the oil pan gaskets. Use plenty of gasket sealer(I use orange or ultra black) where the rubber and cork seals come together, but dont use too much because it can squeeze out and stop up the oil pump pickup. I like to use some 3M glue on the oil pan flange to help hold the cork in place and let it drie for a little while before tightening the bolts all the way. Be sure to get all the surfaces real clean with some kind of solvent. Laquer thinner works real well and dries quick. Good luck.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Is the "front seal" your referring to the crank/pulley seal?

Is it leaking from the rubber lip? Or from the seal to the front pan?

If the rubber lip is leaking, assuming you put the seal on straight, you can either get a new dampner or get a sleeve for the dampener.

If the seal is leaking at the pan, you should put the seal in with some gasket sealant #2. This is the gasket sealant that stays pliable.

IF your front pan to oil pan is leaking, you may have torqued the front bolts too tight,and ripped the cork gasket. If that is the case you can get some "The Right Stuff" This is EXPENSIVE = $12.00 a can. But you just clean up the surface with some BRAKE CLEANER, wipe it down really good, and put "The Right Stuff" on there.

I did this, and haven't had a problem now in 1000 miles, since my rebuild.

Good luck.

4. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

I replaced both the rubber seal and sleeve for the dampner. That took care of a portion of the leak. The largest leak I have now is from the front rubber seal on the oil pan. It drips out between the lip of the oil pan and the lip of the timing cover.

What I did for now was clean up the leaky area after it sat for some time. Then I squeezed some of the blue gasket sealer between the lip and let that sit for 24 hours. I started it up the next day and no more dripping. Will this be okay, or should I pull it all apart later and have it done right (if there is such a thing).

ak7

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That's what I did with "The Right Stuff".

If it worked for you then all is well!

6. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

IF YOU WANT TO QUICK FIX THE LEAK FROM THE FRONT SEAL, I'VE TOOK A SOLID PEICE OF STOCK (PIPE,BAR, REBAR,ETC.) PLACE IT ON THE PAN WHERE IT CURLS DOWN AND HAMMER ON IT SMASHING THE PAN TIGHTER TO THE COVER, DO IT CAREFULLY THOUGH YOU DON'T WANT TO MAKE THE LEAK WORST. IF YOU HAVE CRHOME STUFF THROW THAT [censored] AWAY AND GET OEM PAN AND TIMING COVER FROM DEALER OR JUNKYARD, THERE'S A REASON WHY THAT STUFF IS CHEAP IN PRICE, ITS CHEAP IN QUALITY ALSO. GOOD LUCK BROTHER!

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

will "the right stuff" work for a leaky slip yoke plug? or no, im desprite here, just because it is staining the driveway mad style and i dont want it to do this anymore because it is pissing me off and i dont want to buy a new one, and i dont want to realy dissasemble it because it is a pain in the mass, thanks guys /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

8. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

For a leaking slip yoke, take the drive shaft off, stand it on end,(yoke side down in a corner of a garage) clean the oil off with a can of brake clean, Buy some JB weld. Mix up the JB and apply it to the youke plug and let set overnight! Leak fixed! Or the right stuff will work in the same matter.Good luck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif