Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky power steering gear box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gar, Mar 15, 2005.

1. gar

gar Registered Member

Hey, I have a leaky power steering gear box on my K20 Suburban. I have the replacement seal for it, but I was just wondering how difficult/time consuming of a fix this would be.

Anybody who's done this before and could give me an idea of what's need/involved would also be a great help!

Thanks.

-Garrett

2. rockspider

rockspider Registered Member

Which side is leaking, input or output shaft? I've done input shaft seal myself without special tools, no idea about the output one except you definitely will need a puller for the pitman.

Time needed abt. 1 hour, removed coloumn joke, unbolted the large hex flange, removed the old seal and reistall all back same way.
    Take care only to the input shaft, keep it pushed inside while removing the big hex and during seal change, 'cause it tends to slip outside and getting it back into correct position can be hard.
    Don't turn the shaft or the wheels with the hex removed or the shaft will slip out of position.

Bye

Alex

3. primr87

primr87 Registered Member

input seal is easy i've never changed an output. if you have a 3 inch body lift that could be the reason for it leaking thats how my seal got worn out. i went down to a 1 inch body lift and have'nt had that problem again.