Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky QJet well plugs? Does epoxy work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Nov 7, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Okay, I think that this may be my problem. I called Edelbrock about my no starting, gas leaking, POS carb (soon to be EFI by '03!) And they only had 3 suggestions.

#1 - Float levels
    #2 - pressure in the gas tank
    #3 - leaky well plugs (usually caused by over tightening)

I think that #3 sounds most likey to me... even though I will try the tank first... I only say that because it would be just like me to OVER tighten something. Only wierd thing is that I have not touched the carb at all since I installed it, and it all the sudden started leaking raw fuel into the engine while its not running. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SO, the question is if anyone out here has even epoxied the well plugs in their QJet before to stop similar behavior? If so, what epoxy do I use, how much, and where do I apply it? Gawd, I hate being clueless. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Dan

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is this a new e-brock carb?

If its new, unless e-brock screwed up, well plugs are out.

My 1974'ish Q-jet takes DAYS to leak down when sitting.

On top of that, I dunno how you could loosen them up by overtightening. I've got a carb that is crushed from the PO tightening ALL the bolts up too tight (secondary air door stuck open, throttle shaft bound up, etc) and I didn't notice the well plugs falling out.

Stock GM peened metal over them, so even though they might leak, they shouldn't fall out even if a loose fit.

The well plugs are at the base of the carb, so yes, they'd leak into the intake, but you wouldn't be able to see the fuel leaking like you would if it was from the nozzles or coming out the vent tubes.

Certainly long starting (lots of cranking before firing) sounds like leaky well plugs, and apparently they can be bad enough to "leak down" over night, but it certainly shouldn't be happening on a new carb. If its that bad, it should be easy to test on the bench.

I believe I've heard of people using JB Weld over the plugs, but any fuel safe epoxy probably will work fine.

3. KRAZIE87K5

I hate to sound any more ignorant than I already do here... BUT... anyone have a picture of the well plugs and/or their location on the carb, so I know what I am looking for once I have the carb off AGAIN? I think I have an idea, but I would like to be CERTAIN before I start slopping JB weld around if you know what I mean! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Dan

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

5. KRAZIE87K5

Phew! That's one nasty looking carb! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[​IMG]
    We are talking about the two side by side round jobbers right in the center (lighter in color in this picture) of the body right?

Thanks again Dorian!

-Dan

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah those two and there are acouple more in front of them that you can't see for the crud. They are smaller. JB Weld afer cleaning it with some brake cleaner.

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I used to epoxy those damn things just in case, At the time I used a gas resistant epoxy, If I was going to do it today I would use JB weld.
    As for the location of the plugs look under the float bowl there is two that tend to leak. There are a four of the little buggers. My Haynes Techbook even says use JB Weld.

Eric

8. mirage

mirage Registered Member

Not sure if you got your pics yet, but I did a rebuild a couple months ago (yay). It was actually a lot easier than I thought and I remembered to take pics of most of the process, specifically the leaky wells. If you want them let me know, I don't have them online yet.

9. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

I'm literally in the middle of rebuilding my carb right now. Picked up a couple books from the library, one is hp book "Rochester Carburetors" by Doug Roe, the other is Haynes Techbook Rochester Carb. Manual. Both are basically the same as for rebuilding pics etc the HP seems to have more on the why you want this carb and how to make it better. Just took a few pics of my carb and am getting them off thecamera now. will post to:
    http://commerceconnections.com/knell/boots/blazer/carb/
    shortly

10. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

I've brought this up in the past, but feel it's important to look at. See if you can wiggle the throttle rods around in the bushings in the throttle body. Mine had alot of play, therefore alot of air was passing throught them on accelleration. I rebuilt the Q-jet myself (easy project), and hired a carb guy to re-bush the throttle body. 100% improvement!
    Good luck!

11. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

grassyass will check that in the morning.

12. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

The best way to fix leaking well plugs is to drill them out and tap them for pipe plugs.
    Try this link they are the best in the country for Q-jets.
    http://www.jetperformanceproducts.com