Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky radiator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by retroblazer, Mar 4, 2006.

1. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The is my second one. I had the tanks recrimped once, but the passenger side just started leaking again and I'm leaving tomorrow for Baja. I figure I might be able to use stop leak to get me by, but I'm wondering if anyone had come across a good replacement or custom made one without the bull sh t plastic tanks. This is for my 94 Sub:mad:

2. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm thinking a ron francis is the way to go...but your time frame is going to land you at autozone i would assume...

Good luck down there...my buddy will be down there chasing for a quad team...

DW

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If the plastic is cracked, then stop leak doesn't work on it. Been there, tried that. :( I've also got a '94 Sub and the cheapest I found a replacement radiator was around $350. :yikes: Like you, I had new side tanks installed instead, for about $120.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well if you are in a pinch, you can crack an egg into the radiator. Believe it or not it works. The heat of the coolant boils the egg and it fills in any wholes there may be. This is only a temp fix!!! You will still need to replace the radiator and flush the cooling system several times.

5. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ditto on the egg and I found a good price on radiators at Auto Zone!

6. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

ive used black pepper quite a few times with mine and others trucks. seems to do the trick just fine. anyone else done this?

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

You guys are putting eggs and/or black pepper into your cooling systems? Is this a joke or what? rofl

Besides, seems like peanut butter would work best! :D

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Belive it or not. Eggs and black pepper work good to plug up a leaky radiator in an emergency situation. BUT WARNING!!!!! It smells so good you may want to pull it out and eat it. Radiators are tough and chewey but can provide vital nourishment in a survival situation.
    I have used both methods to plug a leaky radiator when they have had a stick or fan put thru them way out in the bac country. Makes your mouth water all the way back to the nearest greasy spoon for a heaping plate of eggs over easy.

9. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you have new plastic or aluminum tanks put on? I used the GM Cadillac pellets. So far, so good. I'm leaving today for a 2400 mile drive to Mexico. But as soon as I get Stateside, i'm putting another one in.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had new plastic tanks put on. I haven't seen replacement aluminum ones. :( Good luck! :cool1: