Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky tailshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89k5blazr, Apr 26, 2002.

1. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

I've got driping tranny fluid off the first u-joint comming off the transfer case on the rear driveshaft.... would it be the rear tail seal on the trans? or a seal on the transfer case???

2. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Most likely a t-case seal. ITs a quick and easy fix.
    Colin

3. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Most likely a t-case seal. ITs a quick and easy fix.
    Colin

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Right at the slip yoke? You can get a new seal at your local parts store, the one for my 208 was $1.09. I use a pvc pipe as a seal driver.

Drain the fluid. Pull the shaft out, take a 3/0 gauge fishing hook and pull the ring seal out. Clean the surface real good.....when you think you have have clean enough, clean it again. Put the seal into the input and gentley drift the seal in with the pvc pipe.

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if the seal is leaking you will see the fluid dripping at the seal, it will also be sprayed on the floor of the truck above the seal from the spinning driveshaft. if it's dripping at the u-joint the plug in the end of the yoke is leaking(behind the u-joint) this will throw fluid above the u-joint on the truck floor. I've seen many plugs leak like this. remove the driveshaft, remove the front u-joint, pop the plug out from the yoke, clean it well, as well as the groove in the yoke where it seals put it back in with some permatex sealer and put everything back together, probably a good time to replace that u-joint. the fluid travels down inside the yoke through the splines and seeps out of that plug. if you don't fix it right away be sure to fill your transfer case regularly.