Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky TH700R4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big GMC truck, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

Need some help identifying the source of my tranny leak. I had the Dealer replace the pan gasket, but it still continues to leak. It appears to be leaking by the front of the pan. Any ideas? Do I have to take the tranny out to fix it. Eventhough it has 185,000 miles on it, it still performs flawlessly. Thanks for the help.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If in fact it has 185k miles on the original build, then you are pretty much gettin close to rebuild time anyways,,,i got 215 out of mine, then one day, plop, no shifting anymore ,most likely the front seal is leaking, dropping down the front, which in this case, yes, it needs to be seperated from the engine...Not a fun task

3. Big GMC truck

What is the steel pan, with a small hole, in front of the tranny pan called? It appears to be leaking here. What would I see if I took this pan in front of the tranny pan off. Sorry for the ignorant vocabularly.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That's just the torque convertor cover, the seal i am talking about is the seal the torque convertor slides into/onto the front input shaft. They leak with alot of miles on them, real P.I.T.A's to deal with too, best time to change them is with trans rebuild, or motor rebuild,,,other than that, it's just a sucky job to do for a $4 part

5. Big GMC truck

Without taking the transmission out, is it possible for me to take off the torque converter cover to verify that it is in fact the front seal causing the leak? Could the leak be coming from somewhere that doesn't require me to take out the tranny to fix it?

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

if it's coming from between the engine and trans, then no, there is no way of getting out of seperating the two, there is only the input shaft seal, and the big rubber seal for the front pump assembly. There like 6 bolts holding the cover on, yes you can remove this to have a look in the area of the torque convertor.

7. Big GMC truck

Will tranny fluid come out if I take the torque converter cover off? I just had the engine rebuilt a year ago. You would have thought that the mechanic would have asked me if I wanted the tranny seal replaced. Of all the things the mechanic charged me for, he didn't charge me for tranny fluid. Does this mean that tranny fluid didn't come out when he took the engine out? Thanks again for the help.

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

it may not have been leaking for him to replace it, you may just invest in a good unit, or pull yours and have it rebuilt... with handtools and a floorjack, and a friend, it should take about 45minutes to an hour to pull the trans out...

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

no, no fluid will come out by just removing the cover, it's more of just a protective cover, you can technically run without it, but not advised.

that is kinda wierd if he didn't change it out while the engine was out, even IF they aren't leaking, i always change them anyways, just as cheap insurance from this exact problem.