Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky transmission

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5_beater, Oct 31, 2002.

1. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

there is a leak coming from the top of my transmission. where would this be coming from? a crack? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

If it is an automatic it is probably the vent tube located on the top of the case. Check your fluid level. Is it overfilled? Overheated? Fluid will expand a bit when hot.

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

The most likely place for leaking is the shifter o-ring or the dipstick tube. You can buy a seal kit for the transmission if you want to remove it from the truck, clean it up and replace all the seals. This does not require rebuilding the transmission.

I recently did this and am very happy with the results.

The dipstick is held in place with one of the tranny-to-engine bolts. Remove this bolt (hard to get to) and the dipstick will pull right out of the tranny. The o-ring is easily replaced at this point.

The shifter o-ring is a little more difficult. You have to remove the pan, then the selector spring, then some of the linkage, then the shifter. It is all pretty straightforward except you will be working on your back if you don't remove it from the truck. If you have an NP203 transfercase, don't try to remove the transmission and t-case unless you have a good jack.

good luck.

4. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

is this anything i should be really conserned with? this is my daily driver and i may not be able to get to it for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif