Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky Valve Cover Gaskets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Just put on a new set of valve covers and gasktets on the '82 and they leak. I have the finned Edelbrock covers with the chorme hold downs and the fancy rubber Fel-Pro gaskets. They leak comes from below the bolt holes and makes sort of a U shape in between my manifold pipes. I forgot to oil the gasket when I put them on. I tightened them up pretty good too, tight as I could go with one hand on the ratchet, maybe too tight. I didn't use any RTV because Fel-Pro said not to. I had some smoke from the manifold on the passengers side after I got it home. I tightened the cover and it seemed to stop. Man these little problems are starting to drive me nuts.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!

2. Blue85b

Blue85b Registered Member

Those Fel-pro rubber/metal gaskets work really well. If you have the cover tightened well, they shouldn't leak. Did you clean all of the old gasket material off before putting the new gaskets in?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like you over tightened them and pinched the gaskets felpro is the best gasket you can get in my opinion that is all i use just go get new ones and dont tighten them as tight this time. you want them just a little tighter than snug

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

i had a problem with leaky gaskets and the only thing that stopped it was when i got a sort of gasket that had cork with metal inbetween. You can't over tighten them and you can loosen them and then tighten them several times before they leaked. I like them alot.

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys! [​IMG] I've got the hood open and cooling the truck off now. This is really bugging the heck out of me. I'm going to pop the covers a little and hit the top of the block with some light sandpaper and not go so tight this time. I feel kinda dumb cause I had one of my spreaders upside down, d'oh! I tell ya after you one project you want more, want to get a K&N next, then maybe a new cleaner housing, hmm 89-91 trim sounds good, lol.....

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!

6. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

When you come to your air cleaner housing and filter let me know. I built my with a K&N overside (like on a filter charger), 4 " PVC pipe that necks down onto the ring where the old housing fit, then wrapped it in fiberglass header tape, also block off where the filter intake are was with heavy gage aluminum (to keep heat away from intake). All in all, she was good for 13 HP at rear wheels, which was better than my friends K & N Filter charger, and for a hell of lot less. I have ran this for about 3 years with no problems on durability. The only draw back was hood clearance, where I had to cut the pad and a little of the I support out. A 2 inch body would have solved this for me, and I will eventually fix it. I will put pictures out. The reason why I brought all this #^%*& up was that the only ones that come after market for mounting on a carb or 87-91 TBI all restrict flow right as she come into throats, instead of a nice wide straight down air flow like the K & N Gen II for newer TBI's. Let me know if you want he reciepe and pictures.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General