Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky valve covers fix

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moneypit, Apr 16, 2005.

1. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Anyone got one?? Do they make a kit to go from side bolt to center bolt?? Or do I just need to spend some dough on cast ones? I also heard there is a gasket with metal in it to keep from crushing the gasket around the bolt holes....Anyone know who makes them?? I'm sick of the oil mess from these pieces of poo ....
    TIA-Moneypit

2. raptorparts

raptorparts Registered Member

cast covers work much better cuase they hold their shape much better. i haven't used the steel shim gaskets yet. good luck!

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do you have a PCV setup? It really helps with leaky gaskets. Look in Summit, they have those metal inserted gaskets. They have a metal sleeve around the bolt hole so you can't tighten down too far. There is a Center bolt to side bolt switch but not the other way around that I know of. I'd invest in a set of cast aluminum jobbies, thats what I'm going to do on my 383.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I know they make kits to go from centerbolt to side bolt, dont see why they wouldnt work the other way. I believe paceparts.com has em. As for the gaskets, mine have the metal in em, but I cant remember who made em, lemme go see if I can find the box.

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I was having the same problem and went to aluminum valve covers with rubber gaskets and have not had any more poblems. Do you have a small block? If so they make hold down tabs for them I have a set that are chrome if you want them they are yours?

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

How deformed are your mounting surfaces. Problem with 99% of tin covers is that they are bent from overtightening. If they are not flat the embossed gaskets won't help.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The only valve covers that didn't leak on my old 355 were the cast aluminum covers. I used the neoprene gaskets and torqued the bolts to about 10-12 lbs.

Rene

9. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Already have the tabs... Guess its time for some cast ones and some new gaskets...