Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leaky Valve Guide Seals

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crahm, Feb 28, 2002.

1. crahm

crahm Registered Member

My 87 K5 with 170,000 on it smokes a puff of blue on startup after standing 1/2 day or so. What are the long-term affects? Does oil running down the valve stem slowly build up to that black lava-looking crud I've seen on other vavles? Is it worth fixing the leaky seals and not doing anything else to the motor? Has anyone tried that old engine oil and does it help the seal swell back up?
    Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by crahm on 02/28/02 10:04 AM.</FONT></P>

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The only way to fix them is to replace them. Mine does the same thing and so does alot of other members here. Not really worth fixing on an engine with that high of milage in my oponion unless it really bothers you.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The only way to fix them is to replace them. Mine does the same thing and so does alot of other members here. Not really worth fixing on an engine with that high of milage in my oponion unless it really bothers you.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The only problems worn valve seals can cause is premature spark plug fouling. And of course you may go through a little bit more oil than normal.

I may be off base, but AFAIK those are the only concerns......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>