Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

leaky x-case...terminal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Aug 5, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a np208. Like the low range, HATE the slip yoke and the resulting vibes. At any rate, my x-case leaks around that dang slip yoke...fast enough that it makes a 1' wide puddle every night. I know it doesnt take that much liquid to make such a puddle...but the leak seems to be constant, and its only a matter of time before the dang thing is bone dry in there.

Question: my x-case has been rebuilt relatively recently...is it likely that the leaking is caused by my "bad vibes" issue? And if so...short of swapping out the damn thing, is there ANY cure? I know a lotta fellow K5'ers have a vibe issue of one kind or another, do your x-cases leak that much? Any info appreciated...

J.... a guy who prays every night for a fixed yoke conversion!!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Whatcha need is a new output seal - Napa P/N 18992 - $4.69

Before installing it, coat the outer edges with non-hardening Permatex (I missed this step, and need to change it AGAIN)

Friggin Silt![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. MITCH_89'

MITCH_89' Registered Member

JUST FIXED MINE! After thinking it was the t-case leaking the whole time, turned out to be the slip yoke. Take the driveshaft out, and on the yoke, around where it houses the u-joint, there is a "freeze plug" looking thing. That is where it might be. Tap it back in with a ballpien hammer and add silicone. Thats!! good luck

BLAZE IT UP!!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm having the same problem with mine, but I end up with a puddle every time I park for a couple hours (you can track my parking at my train station).
    It took me forever to actually figure out where the leak is coming from, but I've finally settled on the thought that it's coming from where the case halves join, since it seems like like that's where it's always wet, and if I wipe other places off, it gets wet at the seams again first. I'm planning on getting a junkyard unit to drive on, then rebuilding (or just resealing) mine.

That seal's a good place to start, though. Just be careful you don't do what I did when chaning it... k5.8m.com
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wish the underside of my rig was that clean [​IMG]. When your changing a seal like that, a $8 seal puller from auto-zone, napa, etc. works great and helps prevent chipping the housing when trying to pry them out with screwdrives, awls, punches, chisels, plyers, etc.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

lol, I know! Now...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Mine has been leaking as well, but I don't have any vibe issues. My puddle is about 3 inches in diameter overnight! Mine, however, is the plug in the end of the yoke itself. I just got another slip yoke from a guy on this site. I am planning on changing mine out this week.

In the morning, before you move the truck, check underneath. Look for signs of leaking or dripping. My drip was coming from the yoke itself. That is how I knew it was the plug in the yoke and not the seal. Of course, since I will have the yoke out, I will be replacing the seal as well.

Best of luck!

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>