Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lean or rich?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by g_mo, Aug 5, 2006.

1. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

i am try to determine if i am running rich or lean. if i remember right either way will put off a pretty strong odor from the exhaust. my question is, how to distinguish between the two odors? i have a slightly modified 350 (small rv cam, bored .30 over), but i'm running a qjet from a 305. i've gone into the carb 3 times now, trying to get it right, i would like to get it right this time.
    thanks in advance.

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

3. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

Yeah I Have Pulled The Plugs Before. Fouled, But I Don't Think They Are Fuel Fouled. Black And Sooty. Aren't They A Redish Color When Fuel Fouled?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

rich...

Black and sooty= RICH!..smells like unburned gas when its too rich too--if its too lean it wont smell as bad..you can see black smoke under acceleration if its too rich too..

If the plugs are WET and black,oil is passing the rings..dry sooty deposits mean its too rich..

...red deposits are fuel additives,or oil additives that get deposited from leaky valve stem seals or loose intake guides..some fuels leave a brown ash coating on plugs,that can cause stumbling on acceleration and misfiring under load..:crazy: