Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leap of faith???????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Without going into the whole religous aspect of the "leap of fAith" thing, has anybody else out there thrown caution to the wind and gone against thier gut instinct and still come out ahead of the game???

All feedback, both positive AND negative, would be much appreciated, brothers!!!

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Very Rarely.

It depends on the specific situation but your gut instinct is like a H.U.D. feeding you all the important real-time information.

It also has a lot to do with personal experience and how you view the world. As a general rule though, if you go against your own instincts make sure to think it through carefully.

On the other hand if you don't take chances you'll spend your life in a prison. No risk, no reward.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Uhmmmmmmm

Well, all my descisions are thought out, then after they're made, I don;t look back

Worrying cause wrinkles, and I want you to stay hot!

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Moved wife and 4 kids four times cross country w/o job waiting or support network(family). Made it every time.

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Canmore,

I'm currenlty in that state with my religious beliefs, and or lack of them currenlty.

I just can't make up my mind, as to what is right, and what my gut tells me. Some pretty amazing things have happend for me to question what is going on. I'm not and have never been a beliver of the being overly religious, but ?????

I do believe that everything happens for a reason, and what goes around comes around. But with kids, it's a diffrent story. Personally I am now questioning weather or not it will get better or worse with religion?? Can't hurt, but the commitments are pretty big.

I will keep you posted..

Good luck in your search/quest. :)

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I never go against my "gut" because Im not very emotional at all, my decisons are usually deliberate and logical. I do make quick decisions though. I feel God has given us common sense and logic and if we seek His direction He will guide us.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Got to agree with what bigyellowjimmy says. I have found that through life. God will guide you on the right path. Praying for his guidance in major decisions has always worked out well for me. Things just seem to be clearer and doors open to the right path.
    When God opens a door only a fool jumps through a window.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Once, but I don't know if I (we) were going against our instincts. We moved out here to Oklahoma from Cali with basically nothing. A car, suitcases, and whatever could fit in them. Had $1800 to our name, and not much else. That was 9 years ago, and we're still here and doing great. As for the whole "religious" aspect, we couldn't have done it without our faith.

John

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just my opinion, I disagree with that statement. I grew up in a very religious family. After 45 yrs., a lot of traveling, a lot of study on the world's religions, and life experience, I am convinced that things happen when people make them happen. How many times do you hear this conversation?

"Did you hear about that family of four that was killed in a horrible car crash?"
    "No, that's terrible! Well, I guess God was calling them home. I guess he has a greater purpose for them. It must have happened for a reason".

What is left out of that conversation is the fact that one party in the crash made a conscious decision to run a red light. That decision resulted in a broadside crash that killed the family. The driver of the family vehicle also made a decision not to check the intersection both ways even though they had the green light. Decisions made by people that affected the people making the decisions. I don't believe God crawls into people's minds and whispers "run the red", or "trust in the light, don't take caution". I've found in life that you can do everything you can to try and make something happen, but you don't always hold all the cards. Promotions at work are a good example. You may work your butt off, but the boss's nephew gets the promotion. God's will? No, nepotism in the workplace. Decisions made by people. The Blazer pukes its' transmission while rock crawling. God's will? No, a transmission that may be been overtaxed beyond it's capabilities or perhaps a lack of proper maintenance.

Now that I believe firmly in. I think good things eventually happen to good people and bad people eventually pay the price. But, my personal view of a supreme being is that meddling in the day to day affairs of humans isn't going to teach them anything. I tend to believe that a true God would allow people to reap what they sow. People only learn from making a decision and then reaping the reward from a good one, or paying the price for a bad one. Or some get lucky and can learn from others foul ups. It may sound harsh but I think attributing tragedy to God is a cop out. Maybe being involved in the legal arena for more than two decades has taught me that somebody is almost always liable for mistakes. Of course there are exceptions like tsunamis and earthquakes, but even some of the damage from those can directly be attributed to a lack of proper planning and forethought.

Religion can be a wonderful thing for those that choose it. But I reject fanaticisim in any form. I don't buy any religion that teaches that they have all the cards and anybody who doesn't join their exclusive club is going to burn for eternity, Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, and all the others included. In my opinion, nobody has all the answers. So, you pick the lifestyle and belief system that works for you and for anybody else, live and let live.

Just my .02.......

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

No, sir, I can't say I have gone against my gut feeling on anything big... Well, actually I have... I'll think of an example, but I need to go to the car wash right now...

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've gone against my gut to find success, but I've also done it and found failure. Overall, the odds have been with my gut, but I don't consider it the final say or the strongest deciding factor.

I went against my gut and put off a land purchase recently (would have been almost an acre for $200, you know what I'm talking about, same thing we were chatting about in november), and when I finally got around to actually getting ready to put the money in it, I found it was already bought, and the new owner offered to sell it to me for $4500...

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I've learned that if I feel conflicted about an issue or problem, I don't do anything immediately. Doing something just to make myself feel like I'm "doing something" is a sure way to get burned.

I do pray about all things, esp. the big decisions. The holy spirit's leading produces a peace and trust that my obedience will produce a reward. My big ideas produce pressure to come up with another idea to make it all work. That's how I know if I'm doing the right thing or not.

It sounds like you're conflicted about which way to go, and I wouldn't ignore the gut instincts.. are your gut instincts usually right?

What I would do is look at a thing from all the angles, scrutinize the motives of everyone involved, then ask yourself what happens next if I go ahead and
    take this leap, then keep asking yourself that about every possible outcome 5 - 10 steps down the line.

If you pray, ask the father to reveal things you haven't thought of. Pray with the wife, that's why she's there. Ask, and he'll answer.

As far as Gods will is concerned, it's right there in John 10:10. " the enemy comes that he may steal, kill, and destroy. I come that you might have life, and have it more abundantly." All things that happen on this earth are not from God, and not all things work for good. Judge the tree by the fruit it produces.

Thinking of all this helps me to know the difference between avoiding a wrong situation, and passing up a good opportunity due to fear, doubt & unbelief.
    Tom

13. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Well said Tom! I agree whole heartedly.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Mid life crisis????:blush:

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

He bought a chicken farm

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Your a pussy! Hows that for feedback:D :D :D

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I always knew Pauly was a chicken molester:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Fixed it for ya.....:whistle:

19. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The bigger the commitment or sacrifice the greater the reward. Brings to mind the parable of the widows mite she gave all that she had which wasn't much, a "mite" but the rich man who gave lots more still gave less. Any chioce that is made in regards to religon has to made initially with faith, so in a sense all that believe in God and in His Son Jesus Christ have all made some sort of leap of faith.