Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Learning to weld

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by matp, Apr 17, 2004.

1. matp

matp Newbie

Since nursing school will be out for this summer the, only summer I will get off from school for the next two years, I want to learn to weld. I never had to learn because my cousins could weld real well and they always did it for me. However since they are all now 600 miles away from me it poses a problem, a problem that really shouldn’t be I should have learned when I had the opportunity instead of letting them do it for me so much.
    Point being, I am thinking of taking a class at the local tech school here in Gwinnett county Ga. Since I already have all the financial aid stuff I would just need to file for aid for that school and it would be tacked on to my loan/ grant so it would be no money out of pocket at the moment. What do you guys think of that idea the other option is I work with a women whose husband is a welder by trade and I could maybe get him to teach but I hate to impose on him since I don’t know him very well just his wife.
    i want to get alot of stuff done and ready for when i buy a truck in couple years after school, i am thinking if i could start colecting stuff like axels and tires and equipment it will keep me from spend a bunch of money on a blazer when i realy can;t afford a big chunk in lump right now and i could play around with welding and make bumpers and winch mounts ect hehe

Mat

2. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

well there is welding which I am refreshing my skills now and then there is fabricationg. If you want to fabricate, go to school. if you want to mess around with little projects of your own ask the wifes husband how to get started and tips. Good luck

I like just messing around myself /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

My dad showed me how to use a MIG welder and just recently I started learning how to use a stick welder. I have pretty much figured the stick welder out on my own and have gotten a few tips from my neighbor and my dad. It's not as easy as it looks, but with plenty of practice you can get good at it.

If you can afford it and have the time take the class.

4. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Go the school route and you should be able to get certification when you complete the course depending on how long it is. I would love to take some night classes at the local vo-tech just to see if I am doing anything wrong since I am self taught but my funding situation will not allow it.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status