Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

learning to weld?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lunchbox, Apr 3, 2007.

1. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

for those of you that know how to weld , where did you learn

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I just turned it on and started sticking **** together.

I taught myself on an old 220V lincoln 250 stick machine, but now I have a millermatic 135 mig machine.

I also got some pointers from Rene on how to properly hold the gun as mig is a little different from stick.

Ira

3. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I forced myself to learn. I grew up working with nothing but wood but I knew one day I would want to build a 4x4 and would need to know how. I started building stuff just to learn how. pig traps, steps to a porch, fishing rod holders, ect. I am still a little behind the curve with a stick but I am getting there. My uncle is a welder and last summer he started to get behind on a couple of jobs so he hired me out giving me the jobs that wouldn't matter much on appearance. I learned faster being forced to do something than playing around with it on my time. My bumper is my first major welding job of my own.

bumper 2.jpg

bumper 3.jpg

bumper 4.jpg

4. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

small community colleges will offer courses too. I just never had the time

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the statement I hear all too often and scares the crap out of me is "They don't look like much, but they are good welds". The two go hand in hand.

Community college welding classes are probably your best bet. I self taught for a while, then went to WyoTech and learned what they had to teach. Realized a bunch of things I was doing were kind of stupid, but they were things I should have realized on my own.

My best hint to welding is ALWAYS, BE COMFORTABLE. If you could take 5 extra minutes to setup a welding table or move some things to make welding easier, DO IT. Nothing hurts my welds more than being in a position or situation I don't want to be in.

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I wish I could go to school to learn how to weld but the family life is holding that back.

So I have been burning wire and sticks in my garage.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Get some classes on it. If you can't (time/money) go to the library and check out some welding books. That is how I learned. I read a lot on how to weld. Technique for differernt positions, different wires, ect. I read it till I understood it. Practiced using the good techniques and then tried it with the bad techniques so I could actually see and realize the difference.

Biggest thing, a mig is not a hot glue gun for metal and is not to be used like a friggin' caulking gun either.

Good looking welds are not always strong, but bad looking welds are never a sign of good craftsmanship.

8. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

yea, im gonna try and get into a beginners welding class at the jc over summer. and until then all i can really do is dick around on the machine at school,and work.

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I will have to remember that one!;)

10. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Fixed

11. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

ya a jc is a good way to go. I did that and went to wyotech. At the Jc I went to they were more indepth about welding procedures.

12. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

id be taking classes at the college of marin indian valley campus. what jc did you go to?

13. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Napa Valley Jc.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Most of what I learned was from my high school metal shop teacher who was a ship builder in WW2. He was one of those Nessie (sp) Japanese who was a very good teacher..........

15. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I bought an old $hitty welder a long time ago and just started welding stuff together. After about 12 years of welding on and off, I took my first class this last summer.

I think there are two ways to look at taking a class. First, you can take a class early on and you probably won't teach yourself bad habits. You should get taught welding theory and correct procedures for you to build on for the rest of your life. And then there is second, I took the welding class after I had been welding for a long time. I concidered myself proficient, however the class taught me to hone my skills and I felt that I got more out of it since I was starting with some experience to build on.

Just my $.02.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I learned through 2 sources. Friend that knew how to weld & I also took 2 semesters of welding at a local community college. It was a sweet course. 1 night a week for 4 hrs. I learned to arc, mig, & oxy/ace weld. I didn't have enough time to learn it all well but I my go back when I move back down to AZ so I can learn Tig welding.Harley

17. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I learned how to weld in High school shop class on an ARC welder. once you learn how a good weld sounds and looks you can use a TIG or a MIG.

A monkey can MIG weld. knowing how quickly the metal you are working with melts and cools is impotant. I just welded some exhaust pipe, which is very thin, but when you look down the inside you can just see the distortion from the weld. that is perfect penetration.

Good welds take practice, lots of it. no one is going to know you weld 2 peices of scrap together before you welded something everyone is going to see. have fun making abstact art out of scrap steel, thats how you learn.

18. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I went to ROP in high school for auto body. Then 3 years ago I took a class at the local college. Learned how to tig,and do some brazing (sp?) one of the best learning courses I have taken. Plus I held on to my welding book!!

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Community college, 10 months full time about 20 years ago now. Now I'm the Fab shop foreman at my work...and spend a lot of my day 'teaching' my guys and helping them hone their skills.

MIG is a great example of this. It's very easy to get a decent looking weld that is completely unfused along one edge (cold lap). This is most prevalent at the lower machine settings commonly seen on the small home machines.

Mandic...good you mentioned comfort. You can't do a decent weld if you aren't comfortable enough to stay steady.

Rene

20. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

well i checked out some welding books at the library tonight. so im gonna read up on those.