Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Leased welding bottle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 7, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, for those who don't know im going to be selling my MM 135 and step up to a MM175 or MM210. But when my dad bought the welder I wasn't sure if he rented the welding bottle, or bought it... it says on the receipt 45.00 for bottle lease. I am pretty sure thats a renting fee but can anyone tell me for sure? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes, that's a rented/leased tank. That's the kind of tank you take and exchange for a full one (from the same company, like Praxair...) rather than get filled.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oookay I get it. Approx. how much would it cost to buy a bottle? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Heh. I donno about the $CDN:$US conversion, but that sounds cheap unless it's a small bottle (to have bought, plus the word 'lease' does sound like non-ownership.)

Now, the outfit I buy my stuff from does bottle exchanges, so while I own a bottle, when I take it to them to be refilled they just exchange me for a full one and somebody else gets mine, if that makes sense. That might be 'leasing' in Canadian-ese.

I'd call the place it came from; they should know. (How would you lease it, by month or year? Seems weird.)

-- A

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah I am going to be calling them tonight probaly. I think it's per year, other wise I owe a whole lot of money for the lease /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

it's probably one of those 99 year leases /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

7. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I gas up at AirGas in Burbank.
    They "sell" you the bottle used and you return it.
    The "leasor" of that bottle probably has a deposit on it.

If you return the bottle, you get your deposit back. If not...oh well.

-T

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

The way our tanks are we paid $150 (each) the first time and $15-18 to refill (well exchange) them each time. So we have a deposit on a tank we can keep forever, BUT when we go to get it refilled we get a new-used tank in exchange each time. (for the cutting torch bottles)

The argon tank for the mig was a little cheaper but on the same setup.

9. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Arcet sells a 200 cf bottle for $120.00 Customer owned bottles must be pressure tested every ten years. Should have some numbers stamped on the bottle with a star stamp the numbers after the star indicated the year the bottle was last tested. If you are planning on welding throughout your lifespan, then buying the bottle is the way to go. Make sure that you put the receipt in a safe place, because some companys require proof that you purchased the bottle before they will fill it. Also most welding supply houses will purchase them back from you, should you ever decide to get out of the art of welding. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i got a life time lease on the argon tank, only have to pay 150 once for the bottle. the place i get my stuff if you own the bottle or buy the bottle, they still exchange it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif