Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Least possible lift with 42's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Jan 25, 2002.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Least possible lift with 42\'s?

What's the least you can get away with and still move around in the fenders? Any pics would be great.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Re: Least possible lift with 42\'s?

I know pcorssmit is running a 3" lift and BadDog is running a 4", im going w/a 6 and 39.5s and i think that is a little too much. i guess it depends on how much you want to "trim" from the fenders.

Dan

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, (soon to be- spooled dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

3. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

I'm running a 4" with 42's, took alot out of the fenders though, and when flexing I hit the rear wheel tub. Removed the inner fender on the front to. My body was shot when I did this, Don't think i'm gonna cut as much when I swap to my new body. Hope this helps

Tom

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You can make anything work, I'm going for 4" and 42s. Fenders? What fenders? I'm not yet done with mine but I ditched the front fenders and tossed the bed right off the bat. I've still got to cut out the sides of the core support, smooth the pinch welds on the fire wall, and move the axle forward a bit. After that, I'll have to see if the tire still hits the fire wall too much at full stuff (I expect it will). If so, the fire wall will be modified or moved back.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

My old 1 ton had 4" and 42's. MAJOR front trimming is needed to not rub and if you flex alot, you will still rub on the cab at full flex when turning your wheels. It would be best to also move the front axle forward 1" to avoid rubbing on the cab. My new truck has 6", with the front axle moved 1" forward. NO RUBS! Though I still trimmed the heck out of the front fenders.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, I'm looking at 1.5, maybe even 2" forward on the front axle. Tires clear the firewall, better approach angle, etc. I'll just need the shaft re-tubed. Moving the axle forward will also help drive line angles AND keeps the pinion pointed correctly for the CV even after the lift.

I'll start with a smoothed firewall and 4" of lift just to see exactly how far I have to go. Trimming is not an issue for me. Unless I change my mind, I'll be running a bobbed front like Scott at RockStomper (and the other guy with the flat bed K30 that was at Moab) with no fenders and a hood cut way down for better visibility. If I run fenders at all, they will be cut away like Marv's Green K5 and the MoneyPit. After having a chance to look at things, the axle will likely be offset to the front but I don't know how much the firewall needs to be modified. My goal is NO rub regardless of turn or stuff. If that means moving the body back, then I will move the body back. I'll probably move the core support back a bit too so that I can cut the front frame off more (better approach again). Lots of ideas, I'll have to see how it works at stage 1 before I can be sure exactly what I'm going to do.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.