Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LED lights for brake lights??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Dec 19, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My stock rear light config is smashed to hell with no way of fixing them. I was thinking of buying some LEDS and mounting them in the bed somewhere to operate as blinkers and brake lights.

My rig is trail only, but every now and then I have to drive on the roadways a bit.

The blinker lever in my steering column is busted.

Could I rig a switch up for blinkers and how could I hook the lights up to the stock wiring?

Anyone do this?

Thanks,

2. stiches

stiches Registered Member

I never done this personaly....but i used to work at an aftermarket truck acceesories center...anyting is possible if you take ur time...at home depot or whatever there are connectors that are called scotch locks...they just clip onto the wires...and its pretty much think ahead of time and use a wire tester to see what lines what....as for the switch what kind are you looking for? its possible to hook it up after the relay so it can still blink its all a question of if you have the right switch

3. stallion85

Honestly I have no idea where to even start. I was hoping someone had already done it and i could use there idea, you know the usual :)

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

directional switch??

Its not too difficult to change the directional switch --I never did one in a tilt colum though,they might be more difficult...if you don't want to mess with the colum,you can buy an aftermarket directional switch that clamps to the steering colum,big rigs and older antique cars that never had directionals use them often...Grote is one company that made them..I'd say fixing the broken OEM switch is a lot less hassle..you'd have to cut or tap into every wire going to the old directional switch,to hook up the aftermarket one..or any other switch,like a 3 way toggle..not really worth the hassle....

My 74 K20 was loaded with those "Scotchlok" connectors and home wiring romex cable "wire nuts"..previous owner must have been an electrician,or worked at the electrical department at Home Depot or Lowe's!..those kind of connectors work fine indoors,or maybe even inside your vehicle..but I had nothing but heartache with "Scotchlocks" on trailer wiring and other exposed wiring..same with "wire nuts"..unless you bury them with RTV or caulking,they corrode in record time..

I like my tailights,and licence plate light to WORK when I turn them on!..nothing gets you pulled over around here faster than having a dead plate light,or a taillight out...except for maybe lighting up your tires or doing doughnuts in plain veiw of a cruiser!..:crazy:

5. stallion85

I would like to replace the whole column with a tilt. I have some serious electrical issues with my lights. I have just been putting it off for a while now.

I have a bud who went to WYOTECH (sp?). I think he majored in electrical wiring. Maybe I will buy him a 5th of Jimmy Beam and invite him over. Of course the Beam would be consumed afterwards :)