Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

left front spring eye mount wont come loose, what gives?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jp0863, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

why is this bolt in the front l/side spring mount at the frame such a pain? doing my lift and it wont budge. i have had this same problem on the dana 60 donor truck and the parts blazer i had. could not get this bolt loose at all. anyone have an idea?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about the big bolt that goes through the spring eye and mount? Is the nut off of it and it won't move or is the nut stuck? I have had problems before of not being able to get the bolt out when the nut is off, what happens is that the bolt will rust to the metal sleeve inside of the bushing. I usually just beat it out with a BFH and plan on buying a new bolt. You could use a cutting torch to remove the bolt also.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Like he said!.I've used a sawsall to cut the bolts between the spring eye and the hangar,then once the spring is out on the ground you can usually pound the remains of the bolt out--its pretty hard to get them out while its still in the truck.Another method is to grind the head of the bolt completely off,and put several washers under the nut,and tighten it with an impact wrench--you might have to remove the nut and add more washers if it bottoms out and runs out of threads.This will pull the bolt thru the bushing sleeve,usually they will spin right out once it breaks loose.An impact wrench works best for this,I have had limited success doing it with a breaker bar or other hand tools.The spring bushing bolts on most GM trucks are a big PITA to remove most of the time,due to them sticking in the metal sleeve in the bushings--wouldnt have been a problem if they werent so cheap--a little anti-seize goes a long way to prevent this!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i've tried an impact, a bfh, and a breaker bar, but no use.. i believe i may have to bust out the sawz-all. thanks for the input, figured i'de ask in case more people have had the same prob. will be applying anti sieze to the new one.