Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Left over part and engine surging?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weisel, Apr 18, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I did a swap of a '70 350 into a '77 k5 and it runs. I am so happy, but confused also. First, I have a wire left over. It is about three feet long, red, thick (like the guage off of the alternator) and has an eyelet on each end. I can't find out where it goes. The truck runs and drives fine as far as I can see, but it puzzles me. Also, the engine surges at all speeds and I don't know what it might be. It is the same carb/ignition set up I had on my last engine and it worked fine then. Can anyone help me with the wire or surging problem.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

where is the wire located? Was it fastened to anything on either end? Need more input to answer that one.

John

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The surging might be caused by a vacuum leak. Check the seal between the carburator and the intake manifold.

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Mine has a ground wire like that going from alternator bracket where negative cable is hooked up down to passenger side framerail.

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

No, when I got done doing the swap, the wire was laying in my parts pile all by itself. That would make sence that it is a ground wire from the alt. bracket to the frame rail (it is about that long), and because it dosn't seem to be hurting amything (all acc. work). Just curious, but why would they need that ground cable, and one more from the pass. head to the body? Wouldn't one be enough?
    And I'll check the gasket before I go home today and see what happens. But I was just thinking that could it be that my Q-jet is set up for a 400 (what use to be in it) and now i'm using it on a 350?