Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lefthand Canyon in extreme danger of being closed

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by 94Tweek, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 94Tweek

94Tweek Newbie

Lefthand Canyon is extremely close to being closed. All 3 proposals are to close 53-57% of the area. Closures include but are not limited to Fairview Peaks and Carnage Canyon. The lower shooting area would be turned into a parking lot with a "rock crawl" area nearby. The entire area (what would be left) would only be open during the day. Also possible fees for entry.

Boulder County is taking suggestions/oppositions/opinions, but they MUST BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THEN 8/31/05.

If your interested in trying to keep this area open you can send your letters to:

Boulder Ranger District
    2140 Yarmouth Avenue
    Boulder, CO 80301

This is just 1 trail - but if they get a small foot hold this time then it makes all future closures easier. If we don't stand up now, and stand up strong, then in the future there won't being any standing room for the "Wheelers.' Now's your chance - tell them how you feel. :mad:

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I had read that Carnage will be closed regardless and a new technical trail built to accomodate built rigs.

They are also leaning heavily towards a pay to use system.

3. 94Tweek

94Tweek Newbie

So far nothing is final, so we've been told. They are suppose to allow time for public response, but they did a good job of sneaking around. So at the Wednesday COHVCO meeting the word got out that they were taking responses until 9/1/05. This response time was also reiterated at the Thursday Forest Service meeting. This may already be a lost cause, but I don't think it hurts to try, what's to lose by trying? If we happen to gain anything it could be huge, if not now maybe down the road on another trail. Gotta try - doesn't work for me to just walk away easily.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Is there a list of the proposals anywhere online?

5. DSMiruny

DSMiruny Newbie

That sucks, im from arkansas and the trails that we recently found about 20 minutes away are just there to use, its a part of the national forest that you can 4 wheel on and whatever goes goes. I'm a fan of trail parks that you have to pay a couple dollars to use though, cause even though you lost some money, the trails are often alot nicer and they make sure to keep hazards out of the way. Me and the cousins blew a couple tires back in california in mud holes due to people throwing crap in there (9 inch nails, shards of sheetmetal, etc...)

(btw that was my first post here, haha, im new, and love the board so far, gj)