Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

legal header brands

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dorucol, Jan 22, 2004.

1. dorucol

dorucol Registered Member

Does anyone have experience with legal headers in an 85 blazer, 350 engine? Do headers help with power, and/or fuel economy? I was looking at Thorley headers, as they are 50 state legal and come with a limited lifetime warranty.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think many header companies give "limited lifetime" warranties. Putting mine in, they got scratched, so no idea if later on, they'd deny a claim because of it. Any modification to include dents or using on a new engine break in voids Hedman's warranty.

Yes headers help performance. It's very well documented even on absolutely stock 350's that you will net a fair amount of power. Obviously it varies depending on the engine, but now that magazines are showing the dyno tests, and actually testing components one at a time, the gains are proven, and clear.

I'm a little torn on the economy issue. They help the engine by breathing more efficiently, but they also show increases in torque. Typically that means more fuel to handle the increased flow, BUT, since the power generated isn't solely because of the increased gasoline consumption, it probably works out to no difference.

More power, but slightly more gas. But it does equal out to more *felt* power, which is tangible every time you drive. To be honest, I've never seen any article or test that attacks this issue, so without facts, its all just speculation anyways.

By the way, most header manufacturers offer smog legal stuff (Hedman, Edelbrock and Thorley at least) but sometimes it depends on your application as to whether or not ones are offered to keep your particular year/drivetrain combo legal.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

are you in Cali? I have been looking for a set of cali headers with all the smog stuff but I have had a hard time coming up with a set...although I haven't looked very hard.

4. dorucol

dorucol Registered Member

I am in Texas, tailpipe sniffing while being driven on a dyno. Thorley, Edelbrock, and Hedman make 50 state legal headers.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I could have sworn I saw the "50 State Legal" logo on my Thorley box over the weekend......but seeing as how smog is a non-issue for me, I didn't bother to study it much..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I could have sworn I saw the "50 State Legal" logo on my Thorley box over the weekend......but seeing as how smog is a non-issue for me, I didn't bother to study it much..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ohhhh Thorlys egh! SAAAWWWEEEEEETTT!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I ran Smog leagal Hedmen headers on my rig. They were basically the headers with air injection tubes drilled & welded on. I think they cost me 300smakers way back in 94...