Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Legit towing company!?!?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by midnitewarya, Feb 14, 2006.

1. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I was just reading the "stupid campus police thread" (http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164636) over in the garage and saw Bubba Ray make this statement;
    Now I agree with what Bubba said in the thread, but "legit towing company?"

WTF?!?!

I don't think they exist. When my K5 was stolen, a "legit" towing company just happened to know exactly where in the middle of the desert my truck was. It just so happened that they also knew where six or seven other cars had been randomly abandoned 30 miles form nowhere. They towed it, and then held it on their lot for an $80 a day sitting fee. Do you have any idea how hard it is to prove a vehicle is yours when you don't have a title? Needless to say, six days and hella money later I had what was left of my truck towed by another "legit" towing company to an autoshop on Fort Huachuca. Before he dropped it off he charged be another "discretionary" fee b/c my K5 had no wheels on it. He was just gonna take it back to the lot if I didn't agree to pay him. He didn't mention anything about the fee when he picked it up.

Since those shenanigans, I have seen/heard of all kinds of scams tow services pull to make that extra dollar.

Anyone else ever been ripped off by a legit towing company?

Al

2. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I work for a "legit" towing company, and am appalled at what other companies try to get away with. Years ago, my mother was involved in an automobile accident. The towing company towed her car to a local, well established body shop around where we live. Then the driver refused to take a check from the body shop, which resulted in him towing it back to his own yard. We were then charged for both tows. Now what kind of towing company will not take a business check from a well established business? I can understand from an individual and we do that, but not for a business like that. We took the towing company to court and won, but it was just such a hassle. and $80 per day for storage!?!? We only charge $15-20.... I guess it is time for the boss to up the rates a little... :D

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I've dealt with a couple f'ed up towing companies before.

The worst had to be when I was driving my old subaru down a street. It was just after duck and raining, so poor visability. Also I guess that the street I was on had been torn up earlier that day by a construction crew to put in a pipeline. so there's a 2' long trench in the asphalt going across the street.

Now, I probably would have seen it BUT there on the side of the road was a tow truck, pointing the wrong direction so that his headlights were pointing at oncoming traffic (me). This caused two things.

1 - No way to see the rut in the road
    2 - Traffic is diverted to a part of te road where the fill-in dirt had washed away. Leaving the edge of the asphalt to greet the tire at 30mph.

Needlessto say, I hit the trench. I blew my tire and bent the rim. Immeadiatly the tow truck pulled behind me and stared offering to tow me somewhere. I told him that I have a spare tire and cussed him out for driving traffic into the rut. Also, I looked at his truck and got the towing companies name and phone number.

After I tell him no on the tow he says he'll change the tire for me, but doing so starts at $50!!!! I told him to f-ck off and I'm calling the cops. He left pretty quick.

So the next week I spend trying to get the towing company to pay for the wheel and tire. No go. But the construction company paid for it and took full blame because their dirt fill-in washed away. The also re-paved it the day after the storm. The receptionist said that we weren't the only person that busted a wheel on it and they were happy to replace it.

So a big thumbs up to the construction company, but if I had more money I would have been tempted to sue the towing company. :mad::mad::mad:

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have worked for a towing company that was legit, and i know an owner of a tow company who is legit. there are a lot of governing laws out there for tow companies. they get some great deals though when it comes time to claim title. i might be working with my friend when i get out. dunno yet for sure.
    Grant

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i drive truck. if its a basic i can get it on the flatbed easy then straight tow. if it takes more than 5 min or so. then switches to recovery time. and as for the others thay SUCK you should be ashamed of your selfs.

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I've only ever used one company... The only one in town with clean trucks that are newer than 20 years old, the one with the best rates, the one with presentable and polite drivers... The others I take one look at their trucks and drivers and say I'll never use them...

7. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

You would like us then... Our oldest truck is a '00.... Too bad I am a d**K though!~ :p:

8. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah i hate every tow truck driver ive ever met. But i use AAA so i never have to pay them!