Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lending of Parts/Tools....

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by marv_springer, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

You wanna help out right....?!

You've got what somebody needs, and both of you know it. Why not be a friend and lend it.... :dunno:

I struggle w/ this. On a recent trip, I lent a part to a fellow wheeler so that he could wheel the last day of our trip. I have yet to receive a replacement part.:mad:

This was over a month ago.

This weekend another wheeler broke this same part. Right before we installed his spare, we noticed it to be fubar'd. I spoke up and said, "I've got a spare"..... then remembered that I don't.

This person knows who he is. I don't feel I should have to ask, but here I am - in reality - asking....

I expect a replacement very soon.

Marv

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I'm sure that if you know me; you know this post is one of the things that I feel strongly about.

First off, lending fluids/jackets/camping stuff/etc... is one thing, that is not what we are talking about here.

What we are talking about here is SPARE PARTS. This goes right along with being prepared.

Part of wheeling is having a good time, being with friends, and just getting out and enjoying the trails/camping.

BUT, there is another whole part of wheeling that is being prepared for what you are about to do. Let me say that if you wheel, you are going to break, PERIOD, there is no way around it, it's part of what happens and it's going to happen one way or another.

So, if you wheel you are going to break, if you break have the spare stuff to fix it with. It's one thing to have the spare stuff and fix your junk, it's another thing to not have your spare stuff wheel, break, and borrow the spare stuff from someone else. This is OK, but GIVE IT BACK...

If you borrow spares from someone, and you don't know wether or not you can replace it, THEN DON'T BORROW IT!!!!!!!! I spend a boat load of time and money being prepared, you want to borrow it, that's fine, but replace it as soon as the trip is over, or as soon as you get back from the trip. If you don't have the parts handy then make it you business to get the parts you replaced back ASAP, or call the person or something, don't just not return it.

This is BULL$HIT, it's like borrowing money.......

Wheeling is not a cheap hobby, but don't make others fund your hobby because you did not have the funds to fix or have the spare parts.

And another thing, if you borrow something, then bring it back in better shape then when you borrowed it, if you can clean it up, or replace the part you broke as new.

If you plan a trip and you know you are going to wheel and you don't have the spare parts that normally break on your truck, then STAY HOME, because if you wheel with a group, it now becomes the groups problem that you have no spare parts/no way to get off the trail and no way to get home. You now just make your problem everyone Else's problem.

If you borrow it and it breaks, YOU OWN IT. If you borrow it and it's lost, YOU OWN IT. If you borrow it and it gets you home, REPLACE IT AND BRING IT BACK ASAP.

THE GOLDEN RULE OF PARTS BORROWING, DON'T MAKE THE PERSON WHO LENT YOU THE PART HAVE TO ASK FOR IT BACK. ONCE AGAIN TOTAL BULL$HIT!

*******EDIT********

After reading Marv's and my post above, let me state for the record, that I'm quite pissed about this situiation also, and my response is mild compared to what I wanted to post.

The person in Marv's post that borrowed the axles need to make this right and very quickly, I am beyone irritated over this, as I was the person that needed Marv's spare shaft.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i agree.... i hate when people cant return loaned tools, used to happen to me quite often, now "i dont have one, sorry" parts is even worse, like the 4bolt sbc block i loaned a guy for a mockup, it has disappeared...

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I think I'm in some serious trouble here.

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you know who he's talking about...:thinking: :whistle: .

And personally, when it comes to essentials like fuel, axles, drive shafts, etc; I would think twice about 'loaning' because my a$$ is more important than yours (if you know what I mean). Things like duct tape, hose clamps, nuts and bolts, etc is one thing. Not life essentials such as axles, etc!
    Call me a cold hearted a$$hole but I drew the line a long time ago with a friend who almost always 'needed' something on the trail.

6. therobzilla

I am not going to post on this topic unitl I cool down some over this discussion.

This is a very heated topic in my mind.

Rob

I however encourage others to post up there honest thoughts on this topic.

Paulie
    Fred
    Matt
    Harley

What are your thoughts on this, not person specific but the overall topic.

Rob

7. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Marv, I feel your pain, as this same thing has happened to me in the past.:rolleyes:. Ive talked with the person you are speeking of and im gonna donate a set of axles to you to set things straight again.:D.. I know this is between you and him but were all in this together and i have d44 shafts i have no use for at the moment... Hope this helps things. if not. pm me so we can deal with this.. nate

8. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Rob, I know we havent talked much, but call me please.. 480-209-2949.. nate

9. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Dont give rob your number! He calls you at 3 in the AM!:haha:

I think its kinda nice wheeling with a group of people that have similar rigs because you CAN borrow parts and EVERYONE doesnt have to carry EVERYTHING. Thats one thing i dont get to convenience of because I wheel a ford ranger. You guys [even marv and rob] get to use eachother in the sense that you can share parts because you all have the same drivetrain. Dont be a cack bag, and return the stuff you used back to your friends! I hate to say it but everyone that goes wheeling should at least OWN a set of front shafts, rear shafts, and at least a rear driveshaft. I personally carry f/r driveshafts, 2 sets of fronts, a set of rears, various u joints for people like we are discussing here that dont come prepared [thats right I carry parts that dont even fit on my rig because I hate watching upprepared wheelers sit there and look stupid] and also a variety of important nuts and bolts for most poplular wheelin vehicles and also a few fluids. The bottom line is this.. If you dont have the stuff to get you home, dont get into a place thats gonna get you broke. If I cant make it, you will see me there, but in somebody elses passenger seat. Its like fat people complaining about being fat then eating mcdonalds.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  10. FWP

FWP CRS

Maybe a list of some common parts you should have with you whenever you wheel? There's some inexperienced folks around that maybe just don't know?
    Thataway no need to borrow- just fix it yourself.

I.E. if you run a Dana 35- you better have spare shafts- and the correct ones. One of the guys actually left his rig out overnight Saturday on Highway-hell due to incorrect parts.

If you don't have spares, and the means to fix it yourself- don't wheel. If the trail looks too nasty for your rig- don't wheel it. It's simple.

Here's another example- we were talking about this this morning. I don't run a spare tire. If it ever happens I slice a sidewall (hasn't happened in 2 years with the 42s)- I'm either gonna spend some quality time on the trail fixing it myself- or drive it out flat- winching all the way if need be. Meanwhile- I would want the group to keep running the trail and leave me- I have enough gear onboard to sleep with my rig overnight. Although the stubborn would probably stay with me anyway- you know who you are :)

My .00002 cents

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Were there any simple "courtesy reminders" at least one? something as simple as an email asking if the person has gotten a replacement part yet?

with this time of year especially, there is alot going on, i know there is with me anyways, and some things can slip your mind....

which i'm pretty sure is all that has happened here,not like the person was trying to stiff you on the parts.....

I dunno, i find this post kind of overboard, unless of course, there were attempts at retreiving these parts loaned.

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

So.... let me get this straight...

1) You borrow something from me.
    2) You don't give it back / replace it.
    3) It's my responsibility to send a reminder.

hmmmmm ... :thinking:

Yeah... you're right TJ.

I'm just being an a$$. :rolleyes:

Marv

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Wow, what happened here, guess i'll just be quiet then, but hey i know i forget things, quite abit actually...anyhoo......:whistle:

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There are two main diffs on that Fred.
    1). My EZ-slice 8 lugger fits yours and that covers you on about 30% of the runs
    2). You have a spare at the trailer on a rim. We can always run and get that too.

There are two unwritten codes I feel. Do not expect to be given parts. To get someone off the trail swapping parts is normal. In certain times swapping parts to wheel the next day is not out of the ordinary. It is expected that those loaned parts be returned in a timely manner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2007
  15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I almost feel I need to word sentences carefully to keep being friendly with all the parties involved . We , however , are adults here .

So I am going to say what I actually feel anyway .

My brain works differently from others . Having burnt many bridges in the past , I go out of my way to remember what I can , and sweat it out if I don't get to something on time ( I still need to have an envelope show up in cali with 6 bucks ) . Sometimes it takes longer , sometimes it happens sooner . I still try to keep things right in anything now .

Now as for spare parts , I am adamant about having the things I need on hand when I show up . Even if it means being strapped for cash occasionally , I stock up on the things I need when I can .

For instance , when I attempted the firehole for the first time , I broke a shaft . Well I immediately thought to get more . So I deal with Nate for more that very week . As a matter of fact when I finish this I am going to go to his house and rectify the situation where his antenna mount broke , with one of the magnet mounts ( 3 of them ) I just spent the last hour or so going through making sure its soldered up good and has continuity from tip to mast , and collar to ground .

I can grab the shafts and drop them off for Marv on the way back so they are in his driveway when he wakes up . My way of helping set it straight .

But yes , important stuff I would try to get done right away .

And I am sure after this thread is laid to rest , everyone will get how important it is to remember to go prepared .

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Marv, i'm with you on this. I hate when i "LOAN" someone something and I have to hunt it down to get it back.

FWP, i think a list of "must haves" would be great for anyone who isn't sure of the items they should always have with them on a run. Maybe a list can be made and a sticky thread to go with it somewhere.

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

We have in another section a list of what we carry on the trail . And there was a article describing how to pack for a trail run several years back .

But basically it should be minimum to carry everything that commonly breaks either on board , or back at the parking area .

18. therobzilla

TJ,

Wrong answer, no reminder should ever be given.

It was not that hard to ask, why should it be hard to return.

Paulie,
    Correct answer, make the decision to carry stuff and remember to return or make it right quickly, and be anal retentive about returning it or making it right.

It's always the person on the loaning ends right to "wave the need to replace or return the item", but if you dont' hear the, "don't worry about it, it's only a quart of oil", then return it. Acutally return it anyway, even if it's only a quart of oil.

What it says is I appreciate you lending it to me when I needed it. Go out of your way to retrun it, even if it's something stupid, the person that lent it will appreciate your efforts.

Fred and Matt, I agree with both of you!!!! Don't have the stuff if it breaks, and you know it's going to break, don't do it!!!

Rob

19. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have no problem lending parts & tools everyone who has wheeled with me knows that. I am in agreement though that if you borrow you need to return or make arrangements to return promptly. The only time I don't expect parts back is when the parts were given with the pay it forward stipulation attached. I have done that as have many. That is always specifically stated though so there is no doubt about needing to return the parts.

You should always come prepared. I personally am one of those people that is typically over prepared. I cover every base on my personal rig I can think of, plus carry stuff for other peoples rigs too. I stockpile parts that are commonly broken or damaged during wheeling. This should be common practice in my opinion. I have numberous spare axleshafts & driveshafts that I have gotten over the years for little or no money. I have a 10 bolt front that I know I can brake. I broke 2 shortsides in Parker but still had 1 full replacement ready to run & 2 more I could have assembled & wheeled on. I have 5 longside axleshafts for my 10 bolt front. I have never paid more then $50 for a pair, & often times less then that. I am about to pick up a free set. I have 3 spare rear driveshafts & 2 spare front driveshafts. There is no excuse to come to a trail unprepared IMHO. There is a giant list of the stuff I typically carry in my truck in the trail section that Paul referred to. Do people need to carry as much stuff as me? No, but could they use it as a guide if the wanted? Yes.

If you borrow something return it ASAP. Make arrangements to replace it before you leave the trail that day if at all possible. If you can't then be dilligent about replacing it. It is your responsiblility not the parts lender to hound you for it.

Harley

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

K. Rest assured that if, God forbid, I ever have to borrow something on the trail again it will be returned as soon as I can.

Now then since I feel bad enough, can we just let this die with a lesson learned stamp on it?

Thanks very much to Nate and Paul for helping me out tonight so Marv could get the axle quicker than I could have gotten them to him.

Happy New Year everyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.