Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Length of Dana 70HD (dually)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Feb 19, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Anyone know the length of a dually D70HD? And will it fit in a standard fullsize shortbed with the tailgate shut?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Should be right at 73" from wms to wms so I would guess the total overall width to be about 81"~82". I would think it would fit diagonally in the bed.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif anyone know for sure /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Thanks John....and by the way in case no one has told you lately....your CC is BAD ASS /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

They are 74" from wms to wms and the hubs look to be about 6" longer. I can tell you for sure on Sunday after I pick mine up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a shot of it if that helps:
    [​IMG]

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif anyone know for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

Might ask the seller to throw a tape measure on it to be sure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Like the others, I can't tell you the exact dimensions of a D70 dually axle. What I can tell you is that I picked mine up in a short box dodge dakota with a toolbox and all four tires still on the axle. It fit with to tailgate down and some rope holding it in. Depending on the application, you might have left hand threads on the drivers side. Mine was also about 1 1/2" narrowers overall than my D60 front. I scrapped it after the second failure ruined the whole tube.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Ok, I just did a little measuring and here's what I came up with...

The hub snout from the wms to the outer edge of the axle flange is 4 1/4" + the axle bolt heads. I'll guess at 3/4" for the bolt heads making the snout measurement 5" per side.

I have a D70HD that I had narrowed 5 inches and the current wms-wms is 68", so 68" + 5" = 73" overall.

73" wms + 10" (combined snouts) = 83"

By my figures I get an overall width of 83". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Mychal, now I see you going with the ultimate rearend! You won't believe the D70HD when you see it up close! These things are MASSIVE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I've got my D70HD in the garage right now but it has tires on it to making rollable. Unfortunately, I can't get to the rear because of too much clutter in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They are 74" from wms to wms and the hubs look to be about 6" longer. I can tell you for sure on Sunday after I pick mine up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a shot of it if that helps:
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I measured the axle that Skratch is getting and it's 74" WMS to WMS and definitely BEEFY.

10. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    and definitely BEEFY

[/ QUOTE ]

No $hit! I don't even think BEEFY is the right word for the D70HD!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. big pappa b

That very axle is most likely the cause of my trip to the doctor next week to confirm a hernia /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think I left my right testicle somewhere near the shock mount. Careful when you pick it up /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    That very axle is most likely the cause of my trip to the doctor next week to confirm a hernia /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think I left my right testicle somewhere near the shock mount. Careful when you pick it up /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TMI! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Just make sure the old lady kisses your nut every now and then to make it feel better. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I loaded and unloaded my 70 with a cherry picker. Then used a floor jack to pick up each end to get tires on it. Yeah, I used the floor jack after I took the cherry picker back. Would have been faster if I put the tires on when I unloaded it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I have absolutely NO plans to ever try and pick up that rear by myself, let alone with another guy. Maybe 4 or 6 guys, but not 2! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

MMMMMM, Beeeefffy!
    Only 2 1/2 more days till it's mine.

I suppose I ought to get a couple of cheap rims and tires so I can move it around when I get it home. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    I suppose I ought to get a couple of cheap rims and tires so I can move it around when I get it home

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm....yeah....that would be a wise idea! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. big pappa b

[ QUOTE ]
    MMMMMM, Beeeefffy!
    Only 2 1/2 more days till it's mine.

I suppose I ought to get a couple of cheap rims and tires so I can move it around when I get it home. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It was loaded in the truck yesterday I believe..almost there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

WOOOOO HOOOO /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Um seriously though, that would use standard 8 lug rims right?
    I know I know dumb question. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

OK so it really doesn't matter now since I just bought two (1 new in box, 1 slightly used) white 8 lug wagon wheels and got two tires (E load rating) for free! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Okay, yes it fits with the tailgate up in a shortbed furd, no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Picked mine up yesterday...
    HOLY SSSHHEEEIIITTT!!! this thing is HUGE /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Yeah, cherry picker would be nice, thats what we used to load and unload it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. thatK30guy

I told you so! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Its like John told me when I got mine some time back: Wait til you take off the cover and check out the size of the carrier bearings along with the pinion bearings, too. Everything about the 70HD is just pure MASS. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif