Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Length of oil dipstick and tube

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mofugly13, Oct 24, 2002.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

The PO of the 73 K5 I just got a few weeks told me it had a rebuilt 327 in it but the numbers on the block ID it as a 350.nyway, it has a busted off oil dipstick tube. So I picked up a chrome SPECTRE replacement at Kragen. The package says its for Chevy small blocks but it doesn't match the existing one. The old one has a longer dipstick AND a longer tube. Yhe new stick is about 4" shorter wand the tube about 2" shorter. What is the length of the correct dipstick and tube?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't think it matters how long the combo is, as long as the part from the hole to the end of the stick is the same.

3. mofugly13

They're not the same. With the original one in, it reads full. When I put the other one in, I barely get any oil on the tip of the stick. I guess what I really need to know is how much dipstick needs to actually go into the pan.
    Matt

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

So put more oil in it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mofugly13

Uhhh, gee, OK. How 'bout I use the shorter tube and the longer dipstick, then I'll NEVER be low on oil. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Seroiusly, I've got to make a LOT of little repairs like this (guages don't work, 203 only works in HiLoc, no fan, radiator held in w/ tie wire, etc...) before I can really start building it for off roading, and I like to do things RIGHT the first time around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would change the oil and put the specified number of quarts in it ( make sure its a stock oil pan and check for an oil cooler). Then run it, check it, and calculate from there which dipstick to use. If they don't look right take your block number to your chevy dealer and get help at the parts counter.