Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lengthening newer glow plug controller "ON" time

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86dieselburb, Feb 3, 2007.

1. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I just added a 10ohm 10watt resistor to the newer style glow plug relay. Upped the ON time from 9-10 seconds to 22 seconds. You solder in the resistor to the C pin on the controller. On my 86 this was the yellow wire.

My 6.2 has some miles on her and tends to not like 40 degree and under temperatures. Fires up great with the block heater pluged in, but my lazy ass forgets to plug it in alot of the time.

Just thought I would pass on this tip. Also you would need to have the better AC60g glow plugs or some other self limiting glow plug. The 9g or 11g will most likely not appreciate the extended ON time and burn out or worse, swell up.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Holy crap...22 seconds??? :doah: :eek1:

At 20F and not plugged in my 6.2 will flash up with 12-13 seconds of glow and half throttle. Mine ain't no fresh as a daisy rebuild either, it has 231,000 on it. I have a mix of AC60G's and Autolite 1110's...with some "Quick Heats" i could cut my glow time in half. How is your starter/batt/cables? With a new gear reduction starter, new batt's and 1/0 cables I really noticed vastly improved starting. If they don't spin fast enough they can be a PITA to start at the best of times.

Frankly I find manual control is a great solution, and good theft deterrant as well. Not many meth heads would know how to get it started if cold.

Rene

3. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Mines at 350,000 miles. Got new glow plugs (glows tested good), batteries, new cables and had a gear reduction, but broke it last winter. Striped all the teeth off the gear. The gear reduction starter didn't help it starting that much over the stock starter.

Yes, the manual set-up will be for when I drop in this 6.5 I have waiting for a rebuild. Figure it easier to get rid of all the old wiring and crap and start fresh with a manual set-up.

I read about the 10ohm resister thing a couple weeks again and had some free time today.

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    A bit off subject...

Saw this 6.5 gear reduc starter at the local rebuild shop, amazing that it's 1/2 the size of the "old" 6.2... but this one's kinda' cooked... weak batteries... BEWARE...

1 23 07  SUN Tachs Gauges UF Wire 6.2 Start 002.jpg

1 23 07  SUN Tachs Gauges UF Wire 6.2 Start 003.jpg

1 23 07  SUN Tachs Gauges UF Wire 6.2 Start 010.jpg

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Ohhh just a shot of contact cleaner and it'll be fine!:haha:

6. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Don't forget the nail file to touch up the pitting...