Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lenthening my own drive shaft..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

After adding some new springs and larger tires, my old beat-to-death stock drive shaft was starting to show some splines. Since I'd rather do something myself and make it the way I want, than pay someone else to do it- I decided to lengthen it myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Here's a few pictures of the progress so far-

This is the splined end of the shaft. After cutting the old tube off, I machined a shoulder into it to be pressed and welded into the new tube..
    [​IMG]

This is the yoke end of the shaft. I couldn't figure out a way to get it chucked up in the lathe to machine it perfect- This is the facory machined surface after cutting the old tube off..
    [​IMG]

Old stock driveshaft tube on the right, @ .069 wall, new drive shaft tube on the left @.250 wall.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm going to machine the I.D. of the new tube to match the O.D of the yoke and splined ends of the shaft for a tight press fit, then weld it up.
    [​IMG]

As for balancing, if it's needed, the old shaft had no balance weights, I think I can accomplish that with a hose clamp around the shaft, some weights and trial and error. If all else fails, I'll send it out to be balanced. But I think it would be pretty damn cool to make it all work myself. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Kewl, looks like a winner!

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice, you have access to some cool toys. I'm sure you can make it work with a start like that. I've built several shafts that work fine (several fronts, and a few rears) and I don't do anything but cut the tube off, then tap the ends into new tube. On some of the fronts, just cut, sleeve and weld. I wish I could do work like that! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Looks good, show some more pics after is gets finished /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't forget to install a driveshaft safety hoop. If the front u-joint breaks, and that 1/4-inch wall tube digs into the road, it'll pole vault ya into orbit! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I second the hoop idea. That is a super cheap mod that yuo may never need...but if you do...you are a GENIOUS.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did one a couple of years ago...
    I tacked every thing together...
    bolted it-up to the truck...
    indicated it...to make sure it was close...
    pulled it back off the truck...and completed my welds...

Looks Good!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't forget to install a driveshaft safety hoop. If the front u-joint breaks, and that 1/4-inch wall tube digs into the road, it'll pole vault ya into orbit! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> He'd have to have one hell of a high angle CV in the front in order to let the diff end of the shaft hit the ground! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font>

10. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> He'd have to have one hell of a high angle CV in the front in order to let the diff end of the shaft hit the ground! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, If the u-joint at the t-case breaks, the shafts falls to the ground- What does a high angle CV have to do with it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think he thought you were doing a front shaft.

12. Zeus33rd

Ohhh.....That would make sense. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I was thinking front shaft... I need a front shaft, so I must have been projecting. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font>