Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

less lift? longer springs? confusion? trim it for sure!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Sep 7, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Currently I have either an 8 inch or 6 inch lift(came with the truck). Springs in the front and springs plus 2 inch block in the rear. After everything is together, I want to work on the suspension some. I want to get rid of the block for one, and go to longer springs also. Since I am running 44s (I put a 60 and 14 bolt under) I want to keep some of the height to the springs. I AM NOT afraid of the grinder to make the wheels fit. Since it already looks like there will be a LOT of trimming, who cares if there is a little more. Because of this, I am leaning towards the 6 inch lift.

I put a 2 inch body on to help some and allow me to bring the lift springs down some.

I am going in circles as to what springs to use. All the differant lenghts, and where to get them from!?!? Do you guys use stock longer springs, or lift longer springs? Mounted frontwards, backwards, moving front hangers... rear hangers. Ugh!

I did some searching... but there are so many points to search for I am going nuts.

I am hoping to pull the main ideas of this all into one post?

And of course the whole purpose is to make the truck perform better. I run just about everything, except serious rocks. Deep mud, two tracks, and some nasty trails that include EVERYTHING.

Help felllas???? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What is the intended use of the truck?

3. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

And of course the whole purpose is to make the truck perform better. I run just about everything, except serious rocks. Deep mud, two tracks, and some nasty trails that include EVERYTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Doesnt that answer it for ya? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, I really like the ORD Shackle flip for getting rid of blocks. Very well designed, and built heavy duty. For your app. I would go with Tuff Country 6" springs in the front, ORD's 4" Shackle Flip, + Tuff Country 3" springs in the rear Maybe Zero rates on both ends also. The big plus too doing that is you can contact ORD [ QUOTE ]
    www.offroaddesign.com 484 County Road 113
    Carbondale CO 81623
    (970) 945-7777
    tech@offroaddesign.com

[/ QUOTE ] and get everything you'll need.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Doesnt that answer it for ya? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose.

6. four_by_ken

Mud is my main love in 4 wheeling. Deep sheet mud.
    But, I also run at Silver Lake Sand Dunes.
    I run mild 2 track fire roads/dirt roads.
    And also get into some real nasty seasonal roads that have hills climbs, off camber, mud covered rocks, etc.
    I will hit the Badlands with it, maybe Paragon, etc.
    So, really... I do just about everything buy serious rock crawling.

I am trying to build it as multi-purpose as possbile. Thats the reason I want to bring it down some. Make it a little smaller for the tighter trails. Also, make it flex better.

So, I dont think I want to go to another 6 inch lift. Maybe a 4 inch with the 2 inch body. IT will require a lot of 'trimming', but thats alright. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    I cant seem to find pictures of this anymore on there. All I seem to find are the extreme narrowing and such anymore.

And still no adice on springs... I want to go longer at both ends. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

56" stock 3/4 ton springs out back (remove every other leaf) with the 4" ORD shackle flip and an extended (lowering) shackle. stock K5 52" springs up front, home made or custom 7.5" shackle and maybe an ORD zero rate to move the front axle foreward if you need more firewall clearance... the zero rate will also add the lift you lose when you remove the overload leaf. 44's will hit the firewall, the steering box and the radiator support up front with a 6" lift, get some good bump stops, trim the heck out of the inner fenders and beat the firewall in with a BFH wherever it hits. The rear will rub on the inner wheel wells, you can tub it using a strip of sheet metal if you cut the stock inner wheel well lenghtwise, but you will lose your rear seat. I'm going to let it rub and if it get too bad on mine then I will tub it out and go with dual plastic low back bucket seats in the rear. I am running 6" of lift and 44's but it has not been off road yet. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I hope that covers all the bases for you. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. four_by_ken

That was a helpful reply!
    Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That was a helpful reply!
    Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you want to run everything but from your decription you really don't want flex, you think you do but you don't really want it.
    For mud, sand or high speed washboards, you want a semi stiff spring, longer is better, and some smooth shocks maybe duals for taking up the heat.
    You will have a dangerous ride if it flexes alot on high speed runs or in mud.
    Just my opinion.
    I have been there that is why I say it.

10. four_by_ken

Well, I do want to do everything... but does the 52s in the front and the 56s in the rear really make it flex so much that it becomes unstable and 'too flexy' for the mud.

I dont think so... but please correct me if I am wrong here.

Because it looks like the 52 and 56 springs are in the works for my winter upgrades.

Thanks everyone!