Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lesson for the day, Don't wheel on Friday the 13th.. UPDATED (PICS)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, May 13, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

:( Got my K5 high-centered right now in a hole that a ford ranger went through just before me. Just waiting for some friends to get off work now so we can yank it out. I'll have some pics later today. We already broke two snatch straps and a fire hose trying to yank it out.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

lol fire house is nothing but a rubber lining covered in cotton or synthetic material!!!

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

yep, and when you break your snatch straps, there really ain't much else to try

4. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

Too bad your not a little closer. All kinds of trucks and straps to help you out up here. I am sure ours will be getting used a bit this weekend after this nice rain we got :D

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah, that's what I was thinking today when I got off work early at 10 AM :P, We'll be heading back out around 3:30 with a dodge 2500 V10 and a couple big chains. Just hoping the carnage can be kept to a minimum with the chains :( No one around here with a winch available >:|

So the moral of this story is 1) get a winch 2) bigger tires

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Fixed it for ya!!! :grin:

7. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here is a lesson Ilearned a long time ago.

NEVER WHEEL WITH SOMETHING SMALLER THAN YOUR TRUCK.

8. 76blazerguy

76blazerguy 1/2 ton status

did you get it out yet? If not i can be there in about an hour? Let me know if you need any help.

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I got it out... 2004 silverado Z71 and a chain :D i'll post some pics later, but my girl made some dinner reservations tonight :)

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah... I was with a ford ranger, snatched him outta two holes; he didn't stand a chance with my stuck

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

12. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Definately some new tires. I would be scared to ride on those things, especially the right rear one. :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

yeah... new tires, maybe some tires that actually have a decent tread on the sidewall too >:|

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How's that? :grin:

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Aww, don't pick on the 31 AT's they're the little tire that could, little tire that could get me stuck that is :( Nevertheless it was a fun day yesterday

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Do you carry a Jackall (Hilift) with you? Many many stucks like that could be recovered a lot easier with just a little bit of jacking. Instead of just trying to plow the rear diff thru the dirt (or rocks) that high centered you, you have to get the diff up higher. Jack the rear tires, one at a time, and jam logs/ boards/ rocks/ small children/ loudmouth a$$holes that are ribbing you etc under the tires. When you jack it down, the tires sit up on the logs, then your diff is up out of the muck. It makes it a lot easier to pull, and even if its just a foot or two, it could make the difference. You may have to do it a few times, but if you take your time, and do it properly, it will save lots of snatch straps, as well as wear and tear on both the pullee and thr puller!
    Another way if you have two Hilifts is to jack the entire rear of the truck (two guys cause it gets rocky) and get the rear balanced but as high as you can, then push it over sideways. With luck, you could plunk the rear tires right out of the rut youre in.
    Just some pointers from an experienced 'high centerer'! :)
    And some mud grip tires would help too! Hehe.
    Mike

17. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'll second that. Jeeps are useless to a fullsize in a recovery situation.

18. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I always thought that too, but a couple of weeks back a friend of mine pulled my Suburban out of a hole with his Scout. I never wanted to wheel with him before because I didn't think he'd be able to unstick me, but I was wrong.

19. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i had a Toyota pull me out of sand,,buried to the frame, of course he was locked front and rear with nice large tires, but still,,,was very disturbing :crazy:

20. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

yeah, there's some highlift jacks at the garage, but they're all holding up junker cars... great use for them, huh? >:| Acquiring some to keep in the truck would be a good idea.

We did try to get some rock and logs under the tires, but the mud was soft enough that the axles dug pretty far down into it... i ended up dislocating anything that we put under them (we even tried a giant log under one side, but it disappeared into the muck.

Funny thing about this stuck though, a ford ranger made it through the hole no problem, I'm guessing it was because I was a bit wider and a lot heavier than him.

We're heading back out there later today, but now that I've been through the trails I know which holes to avoid. I guess it's just one of those 'learn from your mistakes' things, and luckily my mistake didn't break anything :)