Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let me have it - my airbox

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Sep 9, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Check the link in my sig for the full line up of pics!
    [​IMG]
    Yea, its a little dirty but... Okay, let me start by saying that I didn't intend for this to work in DEEP WATER CROSSINGS /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif, just to help with spray from whipping thru a little mud here, and a creek or two there.

Having said that, I adapted a air box off of a 88 Caddy with a 4.5L V8. The part that sits on the throttle body actually fits over the QJet with only one slight modification, the tubing that runs from there to the airbox is corrugated gutter hose from Home Depot (held on with 4" hose clamps), and the air box itself is bolted to the drivers wheel well. I can still hammer the 454 and the hose doesn't collapse, or choke out the engie that I can notice.

All seems well... so now its going to be put to the test this week in Attica, IN @ the Badlands offroad park with the Midwest K5 Thing crowd. I'll be sure to post up the results!

So let me have it. Wadda you all think? Total cost of this mod was $40... so I didn't do too bad, did I? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Look good to me... I want one! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Looks like a Killer start on a Snorkel.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Looks good! Just keep a very close eye on the gutter hose, to be sure that it doesn't develop cracks that could let in dirt. It probably wasn't designed to live in the temps found under the hood. It doesn't take a whole lot of dirt getting into the cylinders to waste the rings. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Even if the hose cracks, the incoming air is still going to pass through the filter located in the black caddy housing. I think a way needs to be found to draw air from inside the cab, that way you know that water isn't getting sucked in it.

6. KRAZIE87K5

Very good point. I did torch a section just to see how it behaves... (yes, seriously) and it holds up under some heat, but if its hit with direct flame, the outside creases let go real fast. If it starts giving me problems, maybe I will just replace that hose when I do oil changes! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks for the great pointer!

-Dan

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Lets see... You are installing it high on the motor then routing the hose lower than that? Remember the water line is only good for the lowest part of the intake of your hose. Ask SK-15 how the scoop effect of a stock 6.2 diesel system works when water goes over the hood. A stock system takes air from the radiator support and is not a good system for water crossings and mud intake. Makes a mighty fine funnel! I think you should route your hose backwards into the firewall vent cavity then through the cowl panel up near the A-Pillar on the passenger side. Use some PVC or Aluminum Tubing in 3" dia or better. Look at your August Issue of Fourwheeler with the Blitzkrieg article - check out Jeremy Nagers K5, thats a good way to route through the cowl. With some modifications yours could work that way too. Then, you will not have a gassy smelling interior when the truck sits for days. ...Unless you are like the guy in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot who pipes his exhaust into the cab to get High! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Good lookin' out - now I have something else to look for at the 'yards! (caddy intake) I think you have a great idea and its low buck. If that 454 doesnt starve for air, I doubt any will!!!

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey bro, ill b at the badlands this weekend to after i get my new manifold all worked out, but n e wayz ill show ya how a real man builds a snorkel /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

NITRO

9. 4x4dreamer

Maybe try PVC Pipe. You could even wrap it in that exhaust insulation tape to keep the intake air temp down.

10. KRAZIE87K5

Okay, let me repeat, I wasn't building a snorkle. I was just trying to get something to eliminate me sucking chunks of mud and gasping water thru my old open air element K&N. I might look into the snorkle later, but for now, this is exactly what I wanted. Seems like some people like it... but I expected a few comments!

-Dan

11. 4x4dreamer

I like it, I was just suggesting PVC as an alternate to the hose for less replacement on your part. I admire your ingenuity.

12. KRAZIE87K5

Thanks for the compliment! My only problem with PVC, is to figure out a way to conect the PVC to the intake. I would still need some type of coupling, see where I'm going? Maybe I could go collect a bunch of the rubber adapters that came off that same Caddy... but I think there was only one other 4.5L Caddy in this lot.

Any ideas? What can I use to couple the caddy intake to a PVC of close to the same size? Got me!

-Dan

13. 4x4dreamer

I just sold my 1990 Seville with the 4.5 or I could look at it. I knew a guy who built an intake out of PVC for his Cougar, looked nice and sounded halfway decent...saved him 200+ bucks. You should be able to find a piece of rubber that you can stretch over the intake opening and PVC to mount them together, throw a couple of hose clamps just to be safe. You shouldn't have trouble finding the bends to get it to go whever you want. I like the idea of having it suck air out of the passenger compartment, but you already have your routing done. Your design is good because your filter is behind the hose, but I'd hate to see the plastic in that hose melted to your block or headers and i'm sure there are more pleasant smells on this planet than burning hose. It's a good setup, and it gives me ideas for doing one myself.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look closer. There isn't a filter on top of the carb. It's just a plastic plenum that routes air from the intake tube down into the carb. The filter is at the other end of the tube, near the radiator. So if the hose cracks, then dirt gets sucked into the engine. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

15. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

You probably already thought of this, but if you do go with PVC be sure to have something flexible enough in there to compensate for the 454 torqing over.

16. fred79

fred79 Registered Member

I can't remember the name of the fitting but plumbers have a fitting available to repair cast iron and connect different kinds of pipe (cast to plastic) so it's basically a rubber tube with ratcheting hose clamps. i used them alot when i worked for a plumber just get pipe close to the same size and you can stretch them to fit up to like an inch difference.

17. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

it is called a "fern-co" boot, and you can get them in just rubber, or they have
    them with a corregated stainless steel slip sleeve over the rubber, and home
    depot sells them.
    bought a pacesetter filter system just like what you have, except it has a piece of
    aluminum pipe, and a platic plenum over the tbi, and a rubber fernco boot connecting
    them, and i paid $100 bucks for mine

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some of the later ('81-up) K trucks I've seen (like my first core support I bought) have a weird attachment on the "snorkel".

The hose from the air cleaner still runs the same way, but instead of the plastic piece that it hooks to on the core support only facing "forward", it drops down and has ANOTHER opening facing rearward, that wouldn't pick up water when moving forward, or, likely, would let it flow out, if the water level was lower behind the core support and water was coming in through the top one that faces forward.

I believe this was a diesel setup, it was certainly odd to see, although I know others here have seen them too.

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I like it! Gets the carb accessible without having to take off the air cleaner.

20. KRAZIE87K5

Thanks Grimmy!

-Dan