Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

let me know what you think of this project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pulser9, Sep 22, 2006.

1. pulser9

pulser9 Registered Member

Ok here is the link to the ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=260032670953&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT Iv talked to this guy and i can get it for 5 grand. Hes told me what needs to be done is the dual shock hoops need to be bolted in place, steering linkage needs to be hooked up, breaks need to be hooked up, a custom batery braket needs to be made, glass needs to be put back in interior needs to be put back in, The fuel pump is brand new but he cant seem to get it to pump so it may need work or be replaced, and it needs exaust, and it needs paint.

Let me know what you think of this im realy realy interested in buying this truck and starting a project.
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. pulser9

also all the lights need to be wired up and radiator hoses instaled and grill needs to be put in.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you building a show truck? Looks like a world of trouble to me.

4. pulser9

i want to build something that is show quality but i also want to be able to take it off roading a good bit but i will be driving it alot around town. What do you mean by it looks like alota trouble. I realy want a lot of peoples opinions before i go decide to go threw with this.

Thanks

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unfinshed projects are only ever as good as the guy that started them. A 'normal' project is one thing but a 'one off' could be a real pain. You don't know how he was planning to 'do things' and carry on with his plan to make it all work. It looks to me like one of those projects where you'll sink $1000's into it along with hundreds of hours labour and still may end up selling it un-finished. Think long and hard before you buy. Have you got the time/money to sacrifce? Are you good with body work? mechanics? design?
    It's taken me over 40 years to learn to look the other way when I see stuff like this! I still get tempted but I now know what I'd be letting myself in for!

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You ain't gonna get that street legal in Jersey....

7. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

It doesn't look like it has a front driveshaft either, so you'd have to get that.
    Since the radiator isn't hooked up, it probably means the engine hasn't been run since it was rebuilt. So you'd have the hastle of getting that all tuned and broken in.
    I think I would keep looking for something else.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like a monetary black hole to me...

Rene

9. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

it looks like a clean rig, probably little rust and what not. I would take the lift off cause it will ride to dog doo. Also remove all but one shock. Sell as much of that show crap as you can cause it doesn't help in the real world. Use the money to finsih the project. Make that tilt front clip removable also so you can take it wheeling without all htat body in the way. It's a lot of money and work as everyone else said....but. It's a clean truck taht already has some good stuff, just some bad stuff to go with it. But EVERY truck is going to have good and bad that comes with it ya know. If you think it's worth the $5k then i'd say it could be a good start. I mean a clean frame and body with rebuilt motor etc is worht 5 grand IMO. It's just a question of it you want a project or not. There might be some reason why this guy lost interest ya know.

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

The real question is, is it worth it to you? How much of the value of that truck is money you would have spent on your own project? Hydraulic tilt? What about the motor, do you trust the build?

11. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

you should probably get better gears in it too.

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i do like the front shock hoops, would be sweet to have with 52" springs up front. i wonder if he bought those or made them.

its got too many shocks. might be a fun project. but id rather do it all myself so you know the quality thats been put into it. might be worth it. its your call

13. pulser9

I asked the guy what axles it had and he told me
    Front: GM1
    N

Rear: GM85

what axles are thos i dont know what thos are?
    Thanks
    Kevin