Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let me tell you a story

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So, today I travelled to Oklahoma to buy surpip's dually. After some issues with finances, namely being sent a check intended for someone else, we resolved that issue to acceptable terms for all parties. Then I was on my way in my K5 with a car dolly in tow. My plan was to tow the K5 back with the dually.

I met up with Dale, Corey, and family at Dale's place. Corey and his wife are awesome, and their daughter is adorable! We went out for some mexican food, and I took the dually out for a spin. At lunch, Dale gave John (skullznbones) a call, and we made plans to head over to his place after I loaded up.

Got back to Dale's and loaded the K5 up behind the dually, and ran down the interstate to the other side of OKC. Everything was going well, until I turned onto John's street. The car dolly with a K5 on it needs lots of space to turn since there isn't much room for the wheels to move. There was a minivan sitting at a stop sign where I wanted to turn right. I stopped so the silly woman driving could get out of my way. Sure enough, she didnt budge. I swung as wide as I could with the truck, and thought I was in the clear.

That was, until the truck started pulling really bad to the right. I thought I broke something on the truck! Screeching tires and burning rubber in my rearview made me realize it was on the trailer. I had turned so tight the front right tire on the K5 rolled over the dolly and onto the ground. The front left was almost all the way over, and the right tire on the dolly was about 1.5" in the air.

Begin the "on-road" recovery. Got a hi-lift and tried to jack the truck up to pull the dolly out from under the truck. Silly us, the truck was still in neutral! It fell forward even more, now with the diff resting on the main bar in the dolly. Long story short, we threw it in 4L and backed over the trailer. I gave Heather the keys to the K5 to drive the few blocks to John's. After some issues with a missing pivot-pin, I was on my way to John's place. Then I noticed the fenders were rubbing on the tires. I milked it at 5-10 MPH to John's, smoking tires and all.

We spent some time with a BFH and some brute strength "clearancing" the fender that was smoking. We forgot to check out the other side. BS'ed with John, Corey, and Dale for a while, then I loaded up again and was on my way. A couple miles down the road I stopped to latch the rotation bolt I forgot about, and noticed more burning rubber smell. It was the other fender.

Once again, I limped the trailer back to John's, and we clearanced that fender some. I decided it would probably be a good idea to travel with the dolly unloaded. We considered driving both vehicles back, but it was already getting late and I didn't want to run the risk of getting more problems from my K5. The K5 gets real jealous any time I pay attention to another truck, so I was expecting something catastrophic to happen should we drive it back.

John was kind enough to lend me a parking spot in his driveway until next weekend, we left my K5 there and headed on our way with an empty tow dolly. I stopped down the street to make sure I wasn't rubbing, and then again after driving on the highway a few miles. Everything was good, so I continued on my way home.

Needless to say, it was a long day with some awesome people!

Oh yeah, John gave me a bolt and nut to temporarily replace the steering pin in the trailer. Only one we found about the right side was from his ORD steering box brace kit. :bow::bow::bow:

It would have sucked royally to tow a dog-walkin trailer 170 miles.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No pic's? :wink1:

Dale's Dually is very nice!!!

Rene

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

now its jaggeds dually

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Pics

K5 Dually.jpg

WTF Over.jpg

Ugly Mugs.jpg

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

On Tuesday ;)

6. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

Here are a couple more. The first one is from lunch and the second is of what the K5 over the dolly looked like.

pic 022.jpg

pic 024.jpg

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

john was squeasing my ass

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That last pic is a classic. That's a helluva place to keep a spare wheel and fender. Don't think it'll fit the K5 though. :D

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Carnage in OKC.......That how we roll:haha::haha:

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The funny part was we drove clear across the city and the damn thing falls off on the last turn. Well I thought it was funny but Mitch probably doesn't:doah::wink1:

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's better than driving clear across the city like that then discovering it on the last turn.

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes it was pretty interesting

*call from mitch*

"hey uh, somethings wrong with the dolly, can you come help?"

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

5 minutes later....

*Call from Dale*

"Hey tell John to get his high lift up here quick"

:haha::haha::haha:

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

good times

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

"Showdown at the OK Coral" :haha:

16. thatK30guy

Heather, I gotta laugh at the last pic of the dolly under the K5. Its just something you don't see every day that makes it hilarious to view. Sorry Mitch! :D

17. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Same thing happened when I towed your '74 Wes.

Never again will I use a car dolly to tow a K5.

18. thatK30guy

You need a TOW BAR, not dolly. Just flat tow it behind your rig and don't worry about a heavy load. You'd just be pulling the load instead.

19. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

That's right Big Money Grip!!!:pimp: :haha: :haha: :haha:

John

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Dale's wearing a toque!!!!! :rotfl:

And it's a damn good thing that Corey's daughter got her looks from the lovely missus. BTW, Corey, it looks like your forehead has grown a little in the last year or so......:haha: :haha: