Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

let pretend for a minute I'm an idiot**update- I AM an idiot**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Feb 26, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

let pretend for a minute I\'m an idiot**update- I AM an idiot**

*******************UPDATE************************

Called inline tube- 155.00 for the regular- 185 for the stainless- sounds like a hell of a deal to me........BUT...my axles are not what came with the truck- I believe they are out of a 74-76ish P/U....but am not sure how to tell. The guy I bought it from is on over the road trucker- and he's of course- on the road- and his wife- well she doenst have a clue The guy at inline said theres a difference- what I'm not sure......but I need to figure out how to tell what I've got.

**********last update************

after some research (not by me!)...it has been decided Im gonna tell the guy they are from a 76. If I'm wrong, I can send them back...........now...the wrenching session has changed plans.....gonna have to find something else to wrench this weekend.....the heated garage is gonna be nice...ahhhhhh I'll put the rest of the interior back in..YUP thats it

thanks guys!
    Brandy

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: let pretend for a minute I\'m an idiot

Hehehe Well most of the lines are 3/16. I am trying to remeber if the main line for the rear circuit is 3/16 or 1/4. I think it's 1/4. NOW a problem with the rear. They use a non standard connection at the Proportioning valve. What your going to have to do is put that end on the new line. Your going ot need a Double flare kit to do it. About $25 and most large parts stores have them. I also bought a tubing bender that I like. It's $25 as well. This one is like a set of plyers and has interchangable dies for different tubing diameter. There are cheaper ones that is just a lever deal.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Place one call or visit www.inlinetube.com or www.classictube.com and you will get EVERYTHING you need. Most likely if you go to the autoparts store, they will sell you straight lengths that you will have to cut, bend, flare/double flare, union, etc. You will have more unions then you normally need (potential leaks). Bending without a proper bender can be a pain, and possibly restrict some of the lines.

I have used www.inlinetube.com for my 80 where every line was replaced, and recently on my 78 when I redid the tranny (cooler lines and modulator line). Everything had come pre-bent, pre-flared, pre-fittinged, already spring-wrapped where needed., etc.

It was a plug and play installation.

I have done complete systems using straight line while the body was off the chassis (not bad) but still a little time consuming. Considering you will be doing it with the body on and everything in place, it will be that much tougher and time consuming. Not that it can't be done (because it can), it's just that one phone call could save you alot of time and aggrivation (not to mention return trips to the parts store).

Just my .02

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im gonna be replacing some of mine this weekend also. I assume youre just replacing everything with the stock type hard lines from a parts store? If so, youll need the obvious line tools. (Bender, cutter, and Flaring tool.)

The only fitting you should need will be the 3/8-24 Female to female to connect the lines together. The fittings that go to the drums, proportioning valve and the rubber lines (extended lines in your case), should come on the hard lines that you buy.

Make sure if you have to cut and flare anything, it needs to be a 45* flare, not a 37*. All the brake parts are 45* inverted flare.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

soo um grim- I heard a rumor that you were a "carb guru"....are you going to tellico in april???.....**batting eye lashes**.....if I get this stuff taken care of....I WILL be driving it down there...............

gonna take leadfoot's advice and call inline tube....wonder what the price comparision is going to be with prebent/fitted vs DIY job...though I REALLY like the sound of "plug and play"..

Brandy

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

If you have ever messed around with bending/flaring/cutting brake tubing and getting it all 'just right', you will find that the cost difference between DIY and the prebent places is more than an excellent value. If you go DIY, you will spend the difference on Advil and the Jack Daniel's to wash it down.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    soo um grim- I heard a rumor that you were a "carb guru"....are you going to tellico in april???.....**batting eye lashes**.....if I get this stuff taken care of....I WILL be driving it down there...............

gonna take leadfoot's advice and call inline tube....wonder what the price comparision is going to be with prebent/fitted vs DIY job...though I REALLY like the sound of "plug and play"..

Brandy

[/ QUOTE ]
    hahaha I'm not sure I'm a Guru. I just know how to get the base settings right. Dyeger I would say is more a Guru then me. Remind me to bring my Vacuum gage a little before the ride and If we have some spare time I'll teach you how to set idle mixture. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

Are you changing lines because ther leaking or just looking
    for some thing to do this this weekend?
    with strait tubes and tubing benders your looking at a
    very involved job and it takes some skill to make it look
    decent /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ive had some very old trucks that the hard lines
    were ok.
    not trying to scare you just be aware of your limitations
    90jimmy 85jimmy trying to get back to legal emisions
    thinking about my limitations /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Brandy,

(On Topic):

When I swapped out my brakes lines for the extended lines, everything up front was a straight swap. In the rear, the single line (w/ brass splitter) had 3/8" fittings (I believe) and for some reason my hardlines on the axle were 1/4", so I needed to buy little reducers for the splitter to make them fit. Then in my zeal to get things nice and tight, I stripped the brass part....so I had a nice constant leak from before Moab, to about 1 month ago. I finally replaced the splitter block and was able to find one with the correct fittings, so I don't have adapters anymore.... THE END.

(Off Topic):

Where is Tellico? I need to start learning about the East Coast events, since that will become relevant in the future for me. Paragon is in Pennsylvania?-somewhere? Do you have any rough schedules for the events and locations?

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where is Tellico? I need to start learning about the East Coast events, since that will become relevant in the future for me. Paragon is in Pennsylvania?-somewhere? Do you have any rough schedules for the events and locations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg- Tellico is in North Carolina- its going to be a haul- well, QUITE the haul if I get the K5 done in time...if I dont and end up taking the duramax- well thats a cushy ride....should be about 15 hours for me to get there in the D/A..not sure how long in the K5.....should I run into any problems etc..**knocking on wood**

Paragon is in PA- it took us if I remember correctly about 8 hours to get there......the ride this year- is in August- I believe its august 8-10. Wayne and Donna put this one on- its a UCP ride, which is cool- cause all the proceeds go to a great cause. There isn't much "here" which is why making these trips is worth it.

On a side note- there is a guy that lives in Keene- one of these days I'm gonna stop at his house- he's got 4 K5's and 2 suburbans in his yard...each one of them a bit different, but usually covered in mud- and they have some trail carnage...I've gotta find out where he's finding it...I havent really taken my truck to Keene- but I'm sure if he see's yours- he'll stop ya. Johns brother says he works out at Gold's...I'm trying to run into him....but he's never there when I am.....

whats the ETA of you guys moving this way? Don't hurry- its colder than h*ll right now

Brandy

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hahaha I'm not sure I'm a Guru. I just know how to get the base settings right. Dyeger I would say is more a Guru then me. Remind me to bring my Vacuum gage a little before the ride and If we have some spare time I'll teach you how to set idle mixture

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a quick learner......... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brandy

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Re: let pretend for a minute I\'m an idiot**update- I AM an idiot**

I just installed the oem lines from inline tube last weekend. They are a high quality product. Got everything installed in about 3 hours, It was just a little tough to get the prebent hoses routed through the frame but is possible.

13. Greg72

My wife says as soon as at least ONE of us finds a job there.....we're on our way!

My best "lead" is still about 6 weeks away from materializing....which is fine with me. I don't want to be driving cross-country in the dead of winter, or unpacking furniture through 3 feet of snow!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I told ya- bring all those fancy tools ya got- and it could be a very steady source of income for awhile!

Brandy

15. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    I told ya- bring all those fancy tools ya got- and it could be a very steady source of income for awhile!

Brandy

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think there are THAT many folks locally who'd want fab work?? It never really occurred to me that there would be enough "business" to actually pay the bills..... I am under the impression that the New England area CK5 community is pretty spread-out??

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Well, I know of a few places who say they'd fab something....but a bumper for instance....it wouldnt really be "fab work"...cause they'd make it the way they make all the otherst...not the way I want it...

thats the reason I'm ordering my cage from echobit- there isnt any place here that could/would build one without it being a couple G's

plus - dont forget my tunes suck...so theres another mortgage payment for ya! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    It was just a little tough to get the prebent hoses routed through the frame but is possible

[/ QUOTE ]

Brandy as cegusman stated above, this is the hardest most time consuming part of the job (and the only part that is harder to do with pre-bent lines than straight line). Keep the "protective rubbers" on the ends until you are ready to connect. This will keep all the sh*t out of the tubes. You can slightly bend the tubes to help make them through tough spots, just remember not to bend them to the point of kinking. Once you get them in place, you can bring them back to their original shape and everything will fit. Also a word to the wise. Start the fittings slowly and by hand, and keep an eye on them as they go in/together to prevent stripping or cross-threading (this is true with any type of line).

18. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    everything up front was a straight swap. In the rear, the single line (w/ brass splitter) had 3/8" fittings (I believe) and for some reason my hardlines on the axle were 1/4", so I needed to buy little reducers for the splitter to make them fit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Had the same problem. Instead of using reducers I went to the local auto store. They had a 12" section with the right sizes on it. Cut that off. Cut my lines, added the right fittings then re-flared it. Best way of doing it for me. My reducers that I had baught to do it your way had my line running along the back housing. I didn't like the looks of it so I just baught the fittings. Took about ten minutes to cut the line right at the flare and switch fittings.
    I am a Hydraulics man in the Navy so I know your pain from stripin out fittings. Only different thing about doing it at work is that I get yelled at by some higher ups. And if one of my guys do it than I get yelled at for not teaching them right. Oh well.

19. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    Wish I had known about this (1/4" vs 3/8" fittings issue) before last weekend. I put a new extended flexline on the rear of my '72. I ran into the same problem. I had to go to two different Napa stores as they each had only one of those reducers. Managed not to strip anything out, but I'm still in the process of doing the front so I don't know that there isn't a leak. So just in case, where did you find the correct brass splitter?

Thanks,
    Jeff.

20. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

so what are the chances your going to be around next weekend? (**read- I'll supply the beverages**) These should be here Tuesday/Wednesday- and I'm hoping to get into them on Saturday...depending on the weather- of course.......

I'm hoping that the old stuff comes off fairly easy- the majority of brake components were replaced when we swapped axles last spring.......shouldnt' be that many problems.

Brandy