Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's play: "Do I have a Gov-loc?"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Mar 27, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Let\'s play: \"Do I have a Gov-loc?\"

That is the question of the evening! How do I go about looking to see if I have a gov-loc in my 12-bolt? Also, could I get some history and information as to what this so called thing is? Thanks!

1977 Blazer w/ 350 GM crate motor
    44 front/ 12-bolt rear, gear driven NP205
    31x10.50r15 BFG All-terrain- Larger on the way!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Let\'s play: \"Do I have a Gov-loc?\"

This is a long explaination for this. BTW, I'm going to bed since I am TIRED!!! Later dudes and dudettes!

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s play: "Do I have a Gov-loc?"

A gov-loc (eaton-locker) is a locker/limitid slip (yes I said limitid slip) diff g.m. used in rear ends for a long time, I'm not sure when they started or what diffs they came in. They still use them today in trucks and suvs.
    Power transer is as follws: pinion gear to ring rear to case to "spider" shaft to the spider gears to the side gears to the axle shafts to the tires. Get it? no? Hold on.
    The "spider" gears try to push the the side gears, the side gears are forced into the case and clutch pack (thus the "limitid-slip") and try to force the axle shafts to turn at th same rate with a very light pre-load, meaning the axle shafts will slip out of rate when turning, but when in a straeght line they turn at the same rate. (the light pre load on the clutch packs is only applied and increased when power is applied- there is no springs force on te clutch pack)
    Now for the locker; This one is complicated, to keep it simple, basicely, if one tire spins faster then the other, a govenor locks both axle shafts togather, causing both shafts to turn at the same rate, regadless. It unlocks when power in-put lightens up and the govenor un-locks. Get it now?, This was a 3 hour long class packed into a a couple of paragraphs.
    To see if it has a Gov-lock, lift the rear end and spin one tire, if it spins the other sde in the oppisite direction then it -might- be a open diff (with trans in park w/auto, or in gear w/manal)
    if it suddenly locks then it -mifght- be a gov-lock, the only real way to tell is to open the bum cover and check for some "un-usual" parts inside. I know this is confuseing but it hitts the inner workings of a gov-lock and a little pokeing around might help you see how it works.

Twiztid.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pull the cover, if it looks like a cuckoo-clock soaked in 90 weight its a Gov-lock. It works with a centrifugal weight, enough differential speed between the axles and it will lock...or explode, just depends on your luck. I wouldn't worry too much because every one I've had never worked well enough to explode...

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I have one. It already exploded on me on the 3rd day I had the rig. Right now I am building a 12Bolt with an ARB locker. Maybe upgrade the axles too.

"K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The key is being able to spin the tire fast enough by hand to get the centrifugal weights to lock the other axle. Pretty hard to do with large tires, but with 235/75R15's (S10) you can do it.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s play: "Do I have a Gov-loc?"

I have the same K5. I suspected that I had a gov loc after I was on the trail with some friends. They all said they would see both rear wheels lock up where everyone else was spinning. Eventually I pulled the the rear cover and saw more than just spider gears. I've since blown that rear end and replaced it with another 12 bolt with posi this time. They both perform about the same. I'm in the market for a 14 bolt with a Detroit locker since everyone says they're bullet proof.

http://chvyhs.coloradok5.com