Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets play "Identify The Sound Coming From Underneath My Blazer"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Mar 26, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Lets play \"Identify The Sound Coming From Underneath My Blazer\"

Plaese Help. This is awful. i am so iritated i am thinking of selling again. Last week i was driving home and was getting some poping , sqeaking, sliding, breaking kinda sounds, but that was all they were, just sounds. Then all of a sudden, my blazer swerved intself into the other lane, i slamed on the brakes and hauled it down, then it acted fine. So I limped it to my mechanic who checked it out and said all he found were some worn front brakes pads. But he said that didnt explain the noises and the swerve, so he asid he checked the front hubs think they were going bad, but he said they worked finr for him. so, I got the truck back and it was great until today. On my way home, i made my first hard turn and i got a loud pop. I knew was was happening, so I slowed down and went about 10 15 20 miles the whole way home, the whole way I had this noise that sounded like something slipping, the, it would pull to the right , make a loud pop, then be ok for a little bit and do it again. There was nothing consistant about it at all, it would do it with the brakes, on, with the barkes off, in 4 wheel drive, and in 2 wheeel drive... It sounded like it was coming from the tranny or t-case when you are inside the rig, but i doubght thta, becuase that wouldnt explain the pulling to one side... One other thing was that the brake pedel seemed mushier to me half way home. But that could have been my imagination. Anyway, do you guys think it is the Automatic hubs, the brakes, or something different all togeather...
    Thanks,
    Ike

2. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Re: Lets play \"Identify The Sound Coming From Underneath My Blazer\"

Check your wheel bearings. and your rear diff for bro
    ken teeth I had my k-5 completely steer itself into oncoming traffic when my front wheel bearing walked into the spindle (fuc*ing scared the hell outa me) but it sounds like a front wheel bearing to me good luck hope this helps

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Do you have automatic hubs? They can play games like this as they are giving up the ghost. They will howl and jerk and pull one day and then lock and unlock normally the next day. Also check out those wheel bearings. Hosed bearings would also explain your condition very well.

4. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

Anyone have detailed pics on how to replace the wheel bearings??

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

mine did the same when i busted a wheel bearing
    fixed the bearing, fixed the problem

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

They're pretty self explainatory. Jack the one side up and take off your tire. Take off your brake caliper too. It will be held on the back side with two hex head bolts. Then undo your hub cover, again it has it hex head bolts. I've never pulled apart an automatic hub, but hubs usually have some little lock snap holding the guts inside. Pop that out and pull the stuffing out of it and throw it in the trash! Haha, I dislike those hubs because of the afore mentioned reliability problems. If you want to keep them, then inspect everything and lay it out in the order it came. Now look inside the empty hub, you should see aa lock ring with some notches in it. You can remove that using a tool or getting that will fit in those notches and came out with a ratchet. A long punch in one of those notches and some tapping can loosen it too. Its threaded, so smack it left. The tool is prefered but the punch has worked for me. Take that out and they'll be washer type thing behind it and another lock ring. Take that off and pull off your rotor. Flip over, pop out the seal, and pull out the suspect bearing. Get a new seal, bearing, and some grease to pack it with. Assembly is reverse. Note that little washer, it has a pin on that has to line up with a hole in the lock ring. Its all very easy honestly. Just lay things out in the order they came out. Some one will have to clarify on the auto hub removal because I've only done the manuals and the fixed.

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ike,

Also, while you're under the truck, check the rivits on the front spring mounts, crossmembers, etc...when, loose, can cause some strange noise and be very dangerous....check your frame at where the gear box mounts...Check your front end components, bushings, etc...check your motor and tranny mounts...besides those and what others have listed, not sure what else it could be. PM me or keep us posted...it's probably a really simple fix.
    Boss

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the imput. It turned out to be my hub going bad. They were the factort original automatic hubs, i cant believe they lasted 16 years. Anyway, we are replacing them with The Warn Premium locking hubs. Plus we are doing all the wheel bearings and everything. the only bad thing is that the Hub kinda Gernaded and damaged the outer hub that conects to the rotor. When the hub locked uo, some how the bearing got stuck and the bearing race which is suppose to sit firm in there started spinning inside there. Chewed it up preety bad. Thanks for all the imput.
    Ike