Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's play- NAME THAT GASKET!***UPDATE!***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Sep 12, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Let\'s play- NAME THAT GASKET!***UPDATE!***

Okay, long story short, my nasty jake brake noise is NOT an out of round driveshaft. Guess what it is?

give up- okay

I'm going to try to explain this without knowing the proper terms, so bear with me.

The driveshaft, connects to some Knuckle thing, before going into the rear axle- that knuckle thing....where it bolts on, the bolt is loose, and when I say loose, I mean LOOSE! With the truck in neutral, it moves I'd say 1/2 inch. At the same time as it's moving, - its LEAKING....the rear axle that is.. So, not only do I need to take the driveshaft off to get the bolt tight, I also need to replace that gasket, its in the open after this point anyway- so why not.

When I go to the useless parts store tomorrow- I haven't a clue what to tell them...other than I know the axle came from a 76-77-78ish, full size pick-up. I will be bringing in the old one with me, if I can get the driveshaft off in the morning.

but, whats the gasket called? or more yet, whats the name of the thing its "gasketting?"

thanks
    Brandy

see bottom post for update!

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s play- NAME THAT GASKET!

are we talking about a 14ff rear end? or a 12bolt?

3. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

I am by no means an expert, so someone correct me if I am wrong. It sounds like you are talking about the pinion nut being loose and the pinion seal needing replacement. I don't know if this means problems in the rear end if it is indeed the pinion nut that is loose.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

that was my first though too, but when i thought about a gasket the 14ff came to mind, there is a place for a gasket its looks like it houses the Pinion bearing, i dunno what to call it heh, but 6 bolts hold it to the pumpkin, im gonna call it a "Pinion bearing housing"..... sorry i cant help more

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

id say its a pinion seal...definitely...and you are running a 10 or 12 bolt i believe so that 14 bolt issue will be of no concern...so if that is the case replace the pinion seal and torque the pinion nut back down you should be fine...

make sure you didnt damage the rear yoke though...could cause more problems down the road

oh by the way...guess you dont need that driveshaft anymore huh???????

Later

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have no clue what to look for to make sure the "yoke" isn't damaged- where/what is the yoke?

John was LIVID when he saw what I had found. Remember when I first bought the truck I was running 3/4 tons, I swapped back with the guy- to these 1/2 tons, and John now thinks the guy KNEW their may have been something wrong with the axles.....I hope not, for the guy's sake anyway!

It could very well have been that when the axles were swapped, it was not torqued down properly- and it has since wiggled its way out farther...hence the reason that it at first only had a noise at above 35mph-at 1/2 throttle, then it worked its way down to about 25 mph- and now its HORRID any time you let off the gas, regardless of the speed, and before it was only 1/2 throttle- if I let off completetly- the noise was gone....now the only way to stop the noise- SOMEWHAT is to push in the clutch....

I think its the pinion seal myself, but wasn't sure thats why I had asked....

thanks guys!

Brandy

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

lets see...the yoke is what the u joint of the driveshaft bolts up to which in turn is connected to the axle...ive seen people before that had bent yokes and kept throwing u joints out but they were visibly bent...might be a bent yoke making some noise but it sounds more like the pinion nut was loose causing the yoke to wobble a bit and maybe destroyed that pinion seal...

most likely at speed(or rpms) the yoke balances out...when no power is engaging it it can clank around and make a racket...reinforces the idea that when the clutch is pushed in a bit its is partially engaging the rear driveshaft and making it straighten up...

i dont know for sure without looking but thats the first thing id check...

i hope big John doesnt go crazy on that guy /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Later

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i hope big John doesnt go crazy on that guy

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what's funny- this guy is like 6'2 170lbs soaking wet! I hope so too, as I don't want to bail John out of jail!

Okay I know what the yoke is now...Once the kids are on the school bus tomorrow- I'll pull that gasket out, and see how bad it looks, even if it looks good- it's getting replaced...think I'll take the bolt over to the local John Deere store- and get me a new one, and maybe put some of the tread lock tight stuff on it... uugghh, I just want to be able to drive the damn thing! Since we returned from Paragon, it's been 1 thing after another, I still haven't found my heat problem, so kids can't ride in the back, but they are in school all day now, so damn it, I want to drive it!

when I take the driveshaft off- do I need to support it by something? Or does it have enough "movement" to be able to stay connected to my transfer case, and lay the other end on the ground? ah I'll just support it... better remember to block the tires. since e-brake is non-exsistent!

thanks rebel!
    Brandy

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

well if you have the 208(like me) you will want to leave the shaft in and just zip tie it to a frame rail or support it some way...if you pull the 208 shaft out since its a slip yoke at the output of the t-case youll lose some tranny fluid when the slip yoke comes out...

if you have a chiltons or haynes manual check out the torque for the pinion nut, im not sure off hand

Later

10. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It is harder to get the pinion seal out than putting it back
    in. Pretty simple project. After you torque the nut back
    down, take a center punch and "stake" the nut. This will
    keep it from coming loose again. If you can't find the
    torque specs, tighten it as tight as you can with a 1/2 drive ratchet but don't get crazy and use a cheater bar,
    it will change the bearing preload if you over tighten it.
    You won't get far if you overtighten it the bearing will
    seize up. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

11. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I would put some tape around the ujoint to keep the caps from falling off or you could end up having to replace the ujoint too.

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I hope the crush sleeve is not damaged because of the wobbling of the pinion shaft. If the ends of the crush sleeve are boogered up then there is big trouble in little China just around the corner.

John

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Whatever you do (assuming you are going to try this with the vehicle on the ground), please chock the rear wheels and set the e-brake. The tranny park pawl (assuming automatic tranny), or clutch/gear engagement (if you have a standard tranny), is connected to the driveshaft, which is connected to the rear axle. If you remove the driveshaft (which may be under bind), there is nothing to keep the blazer from rolling and if you are on a hill it can be a BAD thing (other members have experienced this). When the wheels are chocked and the e-brake set, you can put the tranny in Nuetral (may have to put it in park, loosen the bolts, then put it in Nuetral to get the driveshaft out of a binding state) which will take the "bind" off the shaft. Safety first. As stated, if the driveshaft is good and the u-joints, you can leave the other end attached at the t-case (easier done with a fixed yoke vs. slip yoke). If it is a slip yoke and you have to pull the shaft, get something to catch the fluid that will come out. Depending on how much the pinion yoke "shucked" it may or may not need to be replaced. The pinion seal should definitely be replaced (under $10), and check the yoke for a groove (where the seal used to ride). If it will catch your fingernail, it should either be replaced or "Speedy Sleeved" (you can get those at NAPA). Depending on how long it went the pinion bearing and/or the crush sleeve could have been damaged too, but replace the seal (and yoke if needed) and try it. If there is no noise, then don't worry about it, if there is you MIGHT have to "did a little deeper". I will be gone this weekend (funeral Saturday, and races in New Hampshire on Sunday), but if you and John would like some help next week, give me a call (PM me). Hope this helps.
    Chris

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I would also check the condition of the pinion bearing.

John

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had the same thing happen to my 10-bolt before. Officially, you are not supposed to reuse a pinion nut. However, it you loctite it and restake it, it should work fine. When I looked at the bearings later, they looked fine and they had 125K miles on them. As long as you haven't been driving on it too long, it's probably OK. The pinion gear can't move towards the front of the truck with a loose pinion nut, because it is already bottomed out on the front bearing, which helps to keep it from deflecting too far from the ring gear. Otherwise, you would have already chewed everything up. The loose nut only allows it to move towards the rear of the truck, which will happen when the gear set starts backdriving the driveshaft. That's why you only get the death noise when you're off the gas. You should know if everythings OK after you get it driving again.

When you take the nut off, clean everything very well. I recommend brake parts cleaner. Then put on some loctite, torque that nut to around 80 ft-lbs and restake it with a punch or chisel. Anymore torque than that might crush the crush sleeve a little further and give you more pinion bearing preload (=hotter bearings = shorter life).

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

OKAY- here's how the day went

first off I knew the axles were out of a 76ish pickup- so I went to the parts store, and picked up two different pinion gaskets.

came home, YES I CHOCKED MY TIRES....put the truck in neutral (standard tranny)...took off the 4 little bolts holding on those clip things, pushed the driveshaft foward, set it on a cooler to rest, undid the nut with my HANDS..thats how loose it was- it had 3 full turns and it was OFF..yes that was THREE turns.

took about 30 minutes to get the gasket off, as I did not want to damage anything in the area of the gasket, very slowly, with a screwdriver and a tap tap hammer, it came off. The gasket did not look bad at all, considering. It was replaced anyway. I checked where the gasket sets, cleaned it up a bit, ran my fingers around the entire area, and found no places where it had a groove, or pit or anything like that, very smooth. Gasket went back in nicely!

went to the John Deere store, got a new nut, cleaned up the area where it goes, and tightened it down with a ratchet. No tourque wrench here, so I went on feel. pulled the driveshaft back out of the T-case, slipped it back where it belonged, put the new baby bolts and clips in, and tightened them down. Gave it all of my uummpphh, and it would NOT move. I cleaned up the outside of whatever the thing this pinion seal covers, to make sure I did not have a leak....

started her up, drover her around our neighborhood- very hard to hear any noise, becaues they have the pavement all dug up.... went around, around, over to a hill that was still paved, climbed up, turned around, came down the hill in third- NO NOISE.......NONE ZIP ZILCH NADA!

came home, told John- took the truck down to the next town, where the speed limit is 55- and got it up to what I guess is about 60, let off the gas, NOTHING... half throttle NOTHING....

I am so damn excited I can't even tell you!

THANK YOU EVERYONE for helping me with this...... I love CK5, and this is why!

Now if I can only get the damn heat in my exhaust taken care of I'll be a happy camper!

Next week, I'll dig into the heat problem again. I'm not sure whether its a exhaust problem, or an engine problem....but will start with the exhaust man, see what he says.....

thanks guys!
    Brandy

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Good deal! got lucky on that one.
    Fyi. Gasket is anything that is forms a seal between to fixed parts. Like a pan gasket, diff cover gasket etc. Usualy made of paper or cork. Can be silicone and rubber also.
    A seal is anything that forms a seal to a moving part. That would include crank seals, wheel seals, axle seals and pinion seals.
    Now did you also replace the pinion nut gasket? there is a foam rubber peice that should have gone between the big washer under the nut and the yoke. Oil can get out through there also. If it was there and in good shape then your ok.