Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lets play name this part!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 5, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i might be adding more parts as time goes by, as i'm trying to learn wiring. :)

my truck is a 1983 blazer w/ 6.2 diesel, silverado package. cruise/blinkers on column, wipers/lights on dash.

what is the bright yellow box behind the guages that has a wire set coming out of it that is red, black and green? these wires are all connected along their lengths to one another such that it essentially makes one cable, but its a flat cable - don't know how else to describe it and the camera is at home and i'm not. :)

any ideas???

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I name it Bob.

Only knowing CUCV diesels, I'm thinking it's a glow plug controller, cuz it sounds new to me.

Is it factory, though, or aftermarket? Related to the radio maybe, or tow package?

-- A

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, it's not that radio static deadener sound thingy is it? But i think that's down next to the radio... That's my guess... let's get a poll going.:D

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Been a couple years since I was that far into my dash . Could it be for the cruise control , coming off the speedo thingy , or is your truck not a cruise equipped truck ?

5. colbystephens

it's cruise equipped, but i don't think it's cruise, tho cruise doesn't work and this does have a plug on the end. hmmm??.

glow plugs... probably not, unless this is part of the deal which makes the glow plugs glow when the key is in the on position... since i've had it, it's never been auto glow, only manual.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well prior to the newer trucks with VSS in the transfercase , or rearend . VSS was in the speedometer head .

I want to say thats what that could be .

Mine didn't work either , only piece I didn't take off was the turn signal stalk . If by some miracle I fix the body panles , I will use the switch housing for a different type with work .

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's VSS. Color and number of wires, plus description of box give it away.

On a diesel/cruise truck I suspect the VSS wire(s) went straight to the cruise module above the gas pedal.

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Sounds like VSS to me. Mine is green though. But it has 3 wires bonded together. Small 3x5ish type box, about 1" thick

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

http://dyeager535.topcities.com/TPI/index.html

First page, middle two photos. If you look close, you can see the three wires from the other end. I believe that yellow was early, light green later. But it doesn't really matter. Only difference in these is the color and connectors in some cases.

10. colbystephens

ok, i'm convinced it has something to do with cruise, as i found out that it plugs into the back of my speedometer. :)

11. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yep, VSS.