Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Let's play name this part???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Jan 7, 2004.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Let\'s play name this part???

I just swapped out another driveshaft on my k5 (208 case to 10 bolt axle)and noticed that where the bottom of the driveshaft u-joint bolts into the rear is loose .I can take this cradle piece and move it 1/2 inch side to side and the pinion nut stays in place ..What is this piece called?? It is the part that the u-joint is held in with u straps and 4 bolts ..Thanks in advance

2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

Re: Let\'s play name this part???

the yoke?

3. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a part# for this ...Thanks

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Bingo. Give that man a prize. That is the pinion yoke. If it moves and the pinion does not, then either your pinion nut has come loose (very difficult to do) or the yoke is shot. Never heard of one that loose before.

If the yoke AND the pinion move, then you have a shot pinion bearing inside the diff. Call Randy's Ring & Pinion. They can help you out and get you all set back up again. Hope all that helps!

5. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bingo. Give that man a prize. That is the pinion yoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww...can't a girl catch a break? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I actually knew the answer to that one...always a day late and dollar short. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    your pinion nut has come loose (very difficult to do)

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you think my rear 10 bolt failed?

7. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks ..How do I get this nut out?? Is it a reverse thread or do I have to impact it out?? I never changed one of these before??the nut stays in place while the pinion yoke moves freely from side to side .?????Can I reuse the same nut once I pull it out?? Thanks again for the help

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

a home made holder works for me. piece of 1/4 plate with 4 holes drilled in it and a large hole for the socket in the center. And a 3/4 square hole for a socket wrench handle to attach (a 1/2 drive might work). I have used a large pipe wrench also, to hold the yoke still.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I wouldn't say it's difficult for the pinion nut to come loose on a 10-bolt. I think it happens all the time. It's usually obvious from the death growl the axle gixes off under coast.

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That'd be a yoke. About $50 from the local auto parts store.

To replace it, mark your current pinion nut and pinion shaft with a prick punch. Then count threads and write it down. I just stick a block of wood under the tire and use a long breaker bar to remove pinion nuts.

When you get the yoke off measure it to make sure it's the same thickness (the sandwiched part) as your old one. This makes sure that you can put the pinion nut on to the same spot without having to use an indicator to measure preload. Inspect the splines on the pinion shaft as well, you might find that that is where most of the wear is. This is a good time to replace the pinion seal.

11. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

What about the crush sleeve? The same thing happened to my Suburban, and I was told that there's a torque spec for the pinion nut. Repair manuals tell you to use a torque angle gauge on the old nut, and then replace the crush sleeve and tighten the new nut to the same torque angle. That's great, as long as the stupid nut didn't back off, leaving you with no reference point..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

BTW, I bought a few crush sleeves off ebay a while back for cheap. They're original GM. If you end up needing one, give me a shout and I'll mail it off to you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe it's 15 inlbs. I always end up going past the marks I made by a little bit and go by "feel" as to what 15 inlbs is. I haven't had a differential whine yet and I've swapped gears between axles and carriers between axles. Maybe I just get lucky, maybe gears aren't the rocket science everyone claims they are.

13. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Cool man thanks for the tips. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI will attempt to change mine out tommorow ..Would napa carry this cruchsleeve?? Anyone know the part #s..thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool man thanks for the tips. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI will attempt to change mine out tommorow ..Would napa carry this cruchsleeve?? Anyone know the part #s..thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The only place I was able to find them was NAPA, and the dealer. Both places needed to order them, but it only takes a day to get in.

If this is a 10 bolt, I have four crush sleeves, I'll only ever need one or two. Email me your addy at BobGervais@cox.net and I'll mail one out to you. You're only in CT so it should take a day or so to get there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe it's 15 inlbs. I always end up going past the marks I made by a little bit and go by "feel" as to what 15 inlbs is. I haven't had a differential whine yet and I've swapped gears between axles and carriers between axles. Maybe I just get lucky, maybe gears aren't the rocket science everyone claims they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip. I think it's a combination of lucky and lack of rocket science. When mine came loose, and I couldn't find a crush sleeve, or the tq spec, I just snugged it up and said screw it. That was about 5k miles ago, and there's no howling, wierd noises or anything.