Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lets play the name game.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by makovai, Apr 16, 2007.

1. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Yesturday i was driving the pos when i heard a loud boom from the rear end. I stopped immediately and oil was pouring out of the huge hole in my diffy cover. No choice so i drove over to my bro-in-laws house about 2 block away, where i tore into it. these are the piece i dug out of the pumpkin.
    also one of the bolt from the main cap was completely out and the other was half out.

so what are these pieces?

[​IMG]

BTW, i dont see any damage to the ring or pinion at all. it still drives. I did trailer it home but i drove it on and off the trailer just fine.

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the wires are the stoppers that hold the collars on the carrier backlash adjustments on the carrier. The little sq shapped wire deals are junks of bearing cage.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen to me. As stated earlier, the round bent wire looking things are just stays to hold the carrier adjustment nuts in place (since 14ff's dont use shims). The two ends of those go into the adjustment "shims" and that little bolt goes through the rounded end of those wires to lock it in place. The round thing is the magnet from the bottom of the diff. When the boom took place, the bolt came out causing the wire looking holders to come out....sending them through the ring and pinion....hitting the magnet on the way around...then the ring gear lodged them against the diff cover causing a hole. The wire looking holder pieces look like they are still good....buy 2 new bolts....use loctite on them...and jb weld the magnet back down.:wink1: Mine did the same thing and it was due to the violent nature of the detroit when it bangs sometime.

Look somewhat familiar???

-Harrison

12818lunch.jpg

12818lunch2.jpg

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

That first pic is of the same pieces you showed. The second one is of the outside of my diff cover....i was lucky enough that the pieces didnt go all the way through like yours...i had no leak.
    -Harrison

5. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

anybody got a pic showing where the "wire looking thingys" (as 87BrnRsd put it) go?

Here is my diffy cover:

[​IMG]

here is the way my cap was when i opened it:

[​IMG]

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Alright, im sorry about my crappy paint skills but i tried to illustrate it for you here:

2264063_52_full.jpg

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If you cant read the middle text, it reads: "The wire thingys go here; The head of the bolt goes over the closed end of the wire thingy, and the other end goes into two of the adjustment nut's holes as crappily drawn here"

Your missing both sides of the adjustment nut clips (what we have been calling the wire thingy's) and both of the bolts that hold them in, and also that 1 bearing cap bolt. There should have been 3 bolts floating around in there somewhere. Did you find them? What scares me is the fact that the bearing cap bolt is out as well. I think that could be bad.
    -Harrison

8. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Thank you....that definately helps.
    Actually the upper bolt was there it was just dangling in the hole. geuss i removed it b4 i shot the pic. I must be only missing 1 bolt then.
    Do you have a illustration (or know where 1 is) that shows how it goes back together?

I can fix the diffy cover with chrome duct tape, and bubbleyum :haha:

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Its kind of hard to really explain...but if you look at the pieces its kind of self explanitory. I tried my best to explain it in the text in the picture. First put the top bearing cap bolt in. I think it torques at like 35 ft/lbs or something....but dont take me on that. Refer to a haynes or chiltons. Then step two: the adjustment nut clips kind of bend in a 90* angle around the middle of the bearing cap....the open end of the adjustment nut clip (the part that will be pointing towards the front of the truck when you put it over the bearing cap) goes into the two corresponding holes in the actual adjustment nut (the round thing you see on both sides of the carrier with all of the holes in it)...then you take the smaller bolt (the one you have pictured) and put it in the hole in the middle of the bearing cap, therefore holding the adjustment nut clip in place. After you read this...refer back to the picture and text i drew and see if you can picture it.
    -Harrison

10. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here ya go Jim:

[​IMG]

11. IGOR

Hey, just realized that picture is missing a bolt too! LOL

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks IGOR. I was looking for a picture but couldnt find it so I had to describe it as best as I could. Your pic is missing a bearing cap bolt, but it shows how it all goes together still.
    -Harrison

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You have some bigger problems in there. There are 2 pieces of bearing retainer material in that pic. This means you have a bearing in there somewhere that exploded.

14. IGOR

Good call 4x4high - didn't see that

So either pinion bearing at the very front (or back) of the pumpkin - or more likely the main bearings on either side

15. IGOR

16. IGOR

Notice bearings on either side

[​IMG]

17. IGOR

18. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

thanks guys.... My next question was gonna be what are the pieces of metal that look like a bearing retainer. Guess maybe she needs to come apart.

19. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I would definitely take it all apart have a look. I bet there is quite a bit that is damaged in there.:doah:

20. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status