Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lets play "Where can I get this wire"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jan 17, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Do not know the correct name for that wire but it goes to the squarish box like thing at the top of the distributor. It plugs into the hei coil pack that sits on top of the distrib. And the other wire you are reffering to is that the other wire that plugs into the same place up there at the top of the distrib? If so it may be the tach wire.

3. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I'll try my hand at it, The 3 wire plug in in your first picture is what I've always heard called the "module" plug.If you take your dist.cap off and look under the rotor button there should be a pick-up module there.If you look at the cap it's self, you'll see 5 connections in all 3 of the five are together (module plug) and the on left side front is the +12 from ignition, and the right side is tach lead.

Hope this helps,

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah all besides those three wires in that plug are the 12v + and the tach wire,

thats is, total of 5 wires altogether on non ESC/EST systems

tach wire is not required

run a hot from a switched source like form fuse panel IGN port to +12v BATT on cap

all done

good luck

5. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I look at your profile and see you have a 1985. The distributor you are asking about is for an old non-computor controlled truck. Your truck will have extra wires on the distributor and carb. for the computor.:D

Bob

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

not unless its a Cali truck. the plug bob is referring to is the ESC plug, which is wired to a knock sensor, when it senses spark knock, it retards the timing. if you pull the ESC distirbutor out, stab a non-ESC distributor in it, and plug in the 12v+ wire, it will fire up without issues. on Cali trucks got computer controlled carbs, everywhere else got a dual capacity accelerator pump. the dual capacity acclelerator pump is simply 12v wired through a temp sensor to the accelerator pump. it richens the mixture until the engine reaches operating temprature. it functions entirely independently of the ESC system.